Whole Chicken cooking time???

Started by radamo, April 30, 2011, 02:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radamo

Hi everyone,
I have been on the road a bit and am dying to get back to smokin'...  Picked up a 6.6 lb. whole roaster and will be smokin her up tomorrow. I am thinking of trying Apple (but still might go with hickory).  Have to sleep on that.

From reading other posts it looks like I should be going for the highest OBS temp I can... (my guess would be 220 or so).  Will a bird that size take 3 hours (just trying to estimate how many bisquettes to use)?  I have a wireless thermometer I am going to use to monitor the temp but I was just trying to gauge how long to plan the rest of our meal. 

Thanks for any timing tips...

RA

FLBentRider

I would plan on 4-5 hours, and keep the vent wide open.l

That's a big bird.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smokeville

I agree -- 4 to 5 hours.

I've used apple, but usually use oak, maple and/or Crown Royal. Cherry works good too. As does........ there is a pattern here.... I haven't used Mesquite....

Rich

radamo

Thanks guys!  Appreciate the quick feedback.

Can't tell you how excited I am to give this a go....

Enjoy your weekend.
RA

banff_springs

I just did a whole chicken (4-5 lbs) and cooked it @ 240 for 4 hours.  IT was 165-170*F.  Used Apple wood and it was all gone in a flash.  Bones picked clean...next time will have to do two.

ghost9mm

radamo... If you think about it...get some pictures...we like pictures.. and yes sir keep the vent wide open...lots of moisture in them birds...It's gonna be a winner for sure..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

alberta pompei

...Do any of you stuff the chicken before smoking them ?

If so, does that affect the cooking time? Save on foods has a buy one get one free on their whole fryers, so naturally there will be chicken on the menu some time this week.....

Barry

muebe

Now if you like crispy skin then you may want to finish the bird in the oven after it reaches 140F IT. A smoked chicken is very good but the skin will end up being very rubbery. If you do not eat the skin then no worries ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

FLBentRider

I would make sure you have at least 165F in the stuffing as well.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

radamo

Guys, sorry no pics for my first chicken.  Going to try doing two birds today using the double "beer can" rack I just picked up.  Thanks for all the tips, the first bird came our really tasty.  Will try to remember to grab the camera for today's birds. 
RA