cold smoke fish

Started by jd748, April 30, 2011, 04:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jd748

To start off i have smoked a lot of salmon using the temp and times that went along with Kummoks recipe.  After a couple of years i have a couple recipes that i love and am looking to try cold smoking now as i just got the adapter for my birthday from the wife... (she really wants smoked cheese!)
The fish i use i catch in the kitimat / terrace area and are usually froze for a bit before i smoke.

So... my question is... if i don't use cure and only salt, soy sauce etc in my brines is it ok to cold smoke the fish until they reach the desired dryness without bringing them to 140 and still be ok to eat?
I have done them without bringing them to 140 before and never got sick, however those batches were when i was starting out and were heavily salted.

devo

I never have cold smoked fish but the old finish guy up the road from me does it all the time. I think when I talked to him it all had to with the brine time. If your going to store it for longer times the longer it should be in the brine. I know sometimes he cold smokes for days thats why I never got into it or even wanted to try it.

jd748

Ya from what i have read and heard it does take awhile.  I love it hot smoked but just thought i would give coldsmoking a try when i have a weekend off to see what the difference is taste is...

Habanero Smoker

If you use the correct salinity, you will not need a sodium nitrite in your brine.

The link below has a great Lox (cold smoked salmon) recipe:
Best Smoked Lox

Here is a good article on cold smoking salmon:
Cold Smoking Salmon

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokeville

I have cold smoked a lot of haddock to make Scottish "Finnan Haddie." I brine it overnight in 1 cup salt, 1 cup sugar, 1 gallon water. Then rinse and air dry and put it in the smoker with Oak for 5 hours, making sure the temp never gets above 90F. Since the fish is not "cooked" it must be cooked before eating....

Check out this recipe for the Finnan Haddie: It will make your mouth water....

http://living.stv.tv/food-drink/recipes/76709-scottish-recipe-finnan-haddie/

Rich

jd748

Thanks for the replies... I am at work and i am blocked off many sites so i will have to read your guys' links when i get home.

HabS - that is the lox that i have made a few times and didn't even tweak anything as it turns out perfect everytime as is
thanks for the link to the cold smoking
Smoke - i can't wait to get home and check your link out...  always up for new things and this sounds like something i will love! 

Smokeville

If the link doesn't bring up a video, keep refreshing until it does. It seems to be hit-or-miss on my connection, but you can still read the recipe.

If anyone likes mashed potatoes covered with cheese sauce and a poached egg, not to mention the fish, this recipe is for you. Go to the gym afterwards or take 2 cholesterol pills....

Rich