Steelhead Trout vs. Rainbow Trout

Started by Smokeville, May 02, 2011, 05:38:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

I now know the difference -- they are the same fish except that the steelhead spends time in fresh water and salt water, while the rainbow is fresh water only.

What your opinion on the taste of each? Do you like one better than the other?

My reason for asking is $$$. The 2011 Farmers' Market season is upon us and I'm gearing up for the start this Saturday. My wife and I have always sold rainbow trout, salmon, and pates based on each. Rainbow trout actually outsells salmon and I prefer it myself. However, the farmed rainbows are pretty small and weight wise (due to thickness) I can smoke twice as many lbs of salmon as trout.

The steelheads I'm getting are almost the same weight as salmon -- almost 2lb each.

It will come down to a matter of taste.

Thoughts, everyone?

Thanks, Rich

Slamdunk

Steelhead have a taste all their own. They are delicious and have a milder "Fishy" taste as compared to rainbows. Although I have not tried them smoked so can't comment on that aspect of taste.

While rainbows spend all their lives in fresh water, spawn and then die, steelhead spend a lot of time in the ocean and then go into fresh water to spawn and then return to the ocean until the next spawning season which I think accounts for the different taste.

At 2 pounds, I'm wondering if the ones you are referring to are young ones - perhaps farm raised? If so, I don't know how they would taste.

devo

I just smoked some stealhead salmon. At least thats how they where labeled. I did find them to have more fat in them. Taste wise I found not much differece.

Smokeville

These steelhead are farm raised in New Brunswick.

If I hadn't seen the skin, they could have passed for salmon.

RAF128

Quote from: slamdunk on May 02, 2011, 07:06:37 AM
While rainbows spend all their lives in fresh water, spawn and then die,
\

I don't think rainbows die after spawning.    Pacific salmon do.   

ghost9mm

Quote from: RAF128 on May 02, 2011, 11:00:10 AM
Quote from: slamdunk on May 02, 2011, 07:06:37 AM
While rainbows spend all their lives in fresh water, spawn and then die,
\

I don't think rainbows die after spawning.    Pacific salmon do.   

You are correct...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Slamdunk

Yep, you guys are right. I think it was too early for me to be posting :o
The point I was trying to make was the two different food sources and consequently the two different tastes.

Smokeville

Well, the trout are done. The taste is different but quite acceptable. Definitely fattier than rainbows.

We'll see how they sell this Saturday.

Rich

devo

viper125

We catch steelheads all the time in Lake Erie. They come into the streams to spawn and we catch most their. Then they return to kake to feed. Never in saltwater. They are usally a lot stronger tasting and bigger than the rainbows here.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

DADAKOTA

Wild salmon or trout are far better flovored than the farm or hatchery raised variety.  The BEST smoked fish I have eaten was native brook trout.  Nothing else has even been close.

viper125

Dont care for trout or salmon relly that much. But yellow perch and walleye, gthats to die for. LOL
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

RAF128

BEcause of where I live have no easy access to salmon.    Only salmon I can get is in the super market and the prices :o.    I enjoy a big slab of salmon from time to time done on the BBQ.     Was show how by a friend.    Rainbow trout done on the grill is good too.     Now for walleye.    Well catch lots of them in the summer at the cabin.     Have a couple of different recipes and they're all done in a pan in butter, none of that healthy oil thanks.   Like perch too but there are any in our lake.   

ghost9mm

Quote from: DADAKOTA on May 02, 2011, 08:47:37 PM
Wild salmon or trout are far better flovored than the farm or hatchery raised variety.  The BEST smoked fish I have eaten was native brook trout.  Nothing else has even been close.

Yes Sir...we flew to Alaska two years ago and caught alot of wild salmon and had them flash frozen and sent home...they were the best fish I've ever ate...but local fish being trout and if I take my boat down to the Chesapeake bay 55 minutes away, the rock fish are pretty good too...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill