Smoked Chicken Breast

Started by zueth, May 02, 2011, 09:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

I did 4 boneless skinless chicken breast in the smoke at 220 with Pecan smoke, they ended up taking about 1 hour and 50 minutes to reach IT of 150.  I simply brushed the breast with olive oil and applied seasoning before smoking.

The taste was very good, but they seemed a little dry to me.  Anybody else experience that?  anything I can do, so that doesn't happen again?

OU812

With them boneless skinless breasts you need to wrap in some bacon or
deli sliced ham or they will dry out.

The skin helps keep them moist.

I try to use bone in skin on when smokeing.

OU812

Oh Ya, keep that vent wide open when smokeing poultry.

Heck mine is stuck wide open and works fine for every thing I have done.

muebe

Also dropping the breasts in some brine for a few hours before smoking will help keep them moist ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

zueth

Do you have a brine that I could try, would like to just do the chicken breast if possible, without wrapping in bacon.

OU812

Quote from: zueth on May 02, 2011, 11:01:14 AM
Do you have a brine that I could try, would like to just do the chicken breast if possible, without wrapping in bacon.

Then I would do bone in skin on, brine a couple hr and smoke away.

If you dont want to eat the skin finish in the smoker, the skin will be rubbery, pull the skin chuck it and enjoy.

If you do like the skin finish off on the grill, the oven or in The Big Easy type thing to crisp up the skin.