3-2-1 dumb question?

Started by stevo133080, May 04, 2011, 06:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo133080

Ok,  this is probrably going to sound like a dumb question ,  But what exactly is this 3-2-1 method everybody is talking about?  I just got a new smoker, and will be trying out some ribs this next weekend.   Looking on here for recipes,  there is a awful lot of reference to the 3-2-1 method,  but I cant really find much on what it is.  Any info would be great.  Thanks

Does anybody have a good rub they would recommend for a couple racks of ribs?

muebe

3 hours smoke, 2 hours foiled, 1 hour sauced...

It is basically how it sounds. You rub the ribs with your favorite rib rub and then wrap them in plastic wrap for a few hours to overnight. Then you smoke them for 3 hours at 225F. Then remove the ribs and wrap then tightly in foil then place back in the smoker for 2 hours at 225F(no smoke). Then remove them again, remove the foil(of course) and then sauce them and then place back in the smoker for 1 more hour to finish the sauce...

As far as rubs there are so many you can use. One good one is "Jan's rub" that you can make yourself. Just do a search for Jan's rub ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Tenpoint5

Steve the 3-2-1 method is 225ยบ with 3 hours of smoke, 2 Hours wrapped in foil with a splash of juice, and 1 hour with bbq sauce to set. Try this link to help explain it.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10182.0

(Posted at the same time as Muebe)
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

stevo133080

THanks for the responses.  I knew it had to be something simple,  but I wasnt sure if its smoke for 3 hours with one type of wood,   switch wood for another 2 hours or what. ;D  This should be easy enough.  I think I will try out that Jans rub.  Sounds pretty good!!!

When you say splash with juice,  Most things Ive read refernce apple juice.  Is that the best type to use?   Also Ive got Apple, Jim beam and hickory chips,   what flavor of wood would you guys reccomend for ribs?

muebe

I would use apple juice for the splash and hickory for the smoke ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

stevo133080

Im goin in,  wish me luck,  this is gonna get messy ;D.  Pictures to follow........

thirtydaZe

when i do mine, after the 3 hour smoke i put mine in a foil pan with about 1/4" of apple juice, and then cover tightly for the 2 hour time frame.

may sound dumb, but i feel i get a better flavor using a name brand juice as opposed to the hyvee brand i had been using.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

Jim O

Hey,Stevo

If you're smokin' baby backs, suggest you try 3-1-1 and check for the meat pulling back from the bone when you apply the sauce.

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !