Oven Convection Fan Installed In OBS

Started by muebe, May 08, 2011, 05:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muebe

I installed the oven convection fan in my OBS that I got for cheap off of e-bay. I got it used but I don't care...just going into a smoker. The bench test results were good. It does move a pretty good amount of air. It is pretty low wattage(it has it's own voltage regulator) so I might just tie it into the PID power for the element. That way the fan is just coming on and off with the throttling of the element. That would be just enough to keep stirring the air without over doing it. Or just hook it to the smoker control part of the PID. That way I can turn on the fan after I run the smoke pucks..

I installed it at the top left side of the cabinet. I had to remove a tray rail to install it. I plan on re-installing the rails just below the fan. Do not know if I will make a shroud for it yet...not sure if it will need it. It also has a smaller fan on the outside at the motor to keep it cool ;)

It is 57 degrees out this morning and the cabinet temp still reached 225F after about 10 minutes with the fan on full blast the whole time. The 900W finned element is still working great with over 20 hours of testing without a fan. I think now with the fan and the element I will have a great combo ;D

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Habanero Smoker

Nice work. With the fan so close to the vent, are you getting any back draft out of the generator?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

muebe

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 08, 2011, 01:06:37 PM
Nice work. With the fan so close to the vent, are you getting any back draft out of the generator?

My generator is located outside the cabinet at the bottom so no draft ;D

BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

viper125

Whats the idea of a fan so powerful. You dont run it while smoking do you? I figured you just want a slow fan to get rid of cold spots.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

muebe

Well I will have it controlled by the PID smoke controller and can program it for the fan to start after the smoke is finished. And this fan is not super powerful...it is low voltage and came out of a electric convection oven. The testing so far showed very even temps throughout the cabinet ;D

viper125

Really like your set up. Seems you have a chip pan and some other venting. whats that for?
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

muebe

Quote from: viper125 on May 08, 2011, 05:38:47 PM
Really like your set up. Seems you have a chip pan and some other venting. whats that for?

Ok...starting from the bottom where the puck burner is there is a heatsink on the pipe to remove excessive heat using a fan directed on the heatsink and a thermostat on the pipe. I only use this when I am cold smoking or on a very hot day. It really helps to keep any heat traveling up the smoke pipe and into the cabinet. It keeps the cabinet temps to about ambient while cold smoking. The tray is filled with water and catches the spent pucks coming from the pipe chute.

Habanero Smoker

Does the fan at that position interfer with smoke and moisture venting out?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

muebe

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 09, 2011, 01:24:36 AM
Does the fan at that position interfer with smoke and moisture venting out?

The fan is pulling air toward the back wall and out. Heat will naturally rise and the vent is always wide open. The smoke pipe and water bowl seem to be protected pretty well from direct air movement when the v-tray is in place. But I will only know how well it really works once I start smoking something....maybe tomorrow ;D

molyneux33

What fan did you get and what voltage is it?  I have a tall smoker and want to add one to mine.