Maple Sugar story!!!

Started by wkahler, May 08, 2011, 05:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkahler

Well we made a trip to Amish country this weekend and bought a lot of goodies one of which was Mable sugar for my bacon obsession!  The funny part is that they where selling it in little shakers for $4.95, and of course me being the buy in bilk type asked the guy if they had larger quantities of it and he went in the back to look and came back with 3.60 ponds of it.............so of course i said i would take it all.  The Amish guy looked at me like i was out of my mind, then i told him i make my own bacon and i think that was the icing on the cake LOL!!!  Needless to say i came home tonight and put it all in bags 1/4 and 1/2 cup measurements and vacuum sealed it!!
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

Quarlow

Sweet.....ok ok I just had to say it. I have not found any maple sugar here in b.c. I am sure it is here somewhere, I am just not sure where. Same as this turbinado sugar, never even heard of it till I came to the forum.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

wkahler

Quote from: Quarlow on May 08, 2011, 05:48:07 PM
Sweet.....ok ok I just had to say it. I have not found any maple sugar here in b.c. I am sure it is here somewhere, I am just not sure where. Same as this turbinado sugar, never even heard of it till I came to the forum.

We have the turbinado sugar in the local store and the amish store that is close to us.  We order our organic sugar from the local store and tried to have them order maple sugar but they couldn't order any!
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

Quarlow

Well now you know where to get it, in bulk. ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Habanero Smoker

That is a nice score.

Quarlow;

Turbinado sugar is also more commonly called "Raw Sugar" or "Sugar in the Raw".

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Slamdunk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_brown_sugar

Colin, I have been wanting to try it as well and haven't found it around the lower mainland.

The link above mentions that it is very similar with Demerara sugar, so maybe we will have to settle for that.

Quarlow

Ok Habs, now I feel like a bonehead. I should have googled that. We do have raw sugar here. Thanks again. I have never specificly gone out to buy any but I have been watching for it.

OBS
BBQ

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Quarlow on May 09, 2011, 08:15:12 PM
Ok Habs, now I feel like a bonehead. I should have googled that. We do have raw sugar here. Thanks again. I have never specificly gone out to buy any but I have been watching for it.

I learned about this several years ago when I had an interesting discussion with an owner of a health food store. Also as mentioned above Demerara sugar is a good substitute. It is just process a little more then Turbinado, slightly lighter in color and taste.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RossP

Hey Q look what I found today at Price Smart in Langley.

First time I have seen it up here.

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

Quarlow

Right on Ross, or should I say sweet.  ;D I will look for it. thanks

OBS
BBQ

RossP

No problem Colin, I am going to pick some up for some of the rubs I want to mix up. Thought I was going to have to make a trip south of the boarder. Oh wait I am making a trip south of the boarder this weekend, Lisa is taking her BBQ Judging coarse in Kent on Sunday so I am tagging along.

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

Quarlow

Nice segway  ;D So you are spending the weekend in Seattle are you?

OBS
BBQ