10 pound hunk of beef!

Started by KyNola, May 09, 2011, 12:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Was strolling through Sam's yesterday on a smoking goodies quest.  Came home with approximately 10 pounds of various cheese for cold smoking, 3 corned beef brisket flats for pastrami and this.

A 10 pound hunk o sirloin, angus choice grade.  One might ask "what do you do with that?"  As you can see in the pic I injected the crap out of it with worchestershire sauce, wrapped in plastic wrap and getting an overnight sleep.  Tomorrow it will get a hearty coating of Morton's Natures Seasoning and probably some Cavender's Greek Seasoning and into the MAK for some smoke(with hickory of course) and then take it to an IT of around 130.  After an opportunity for FTC, I will thin slice it, vac seal it and give the majority of it to my 87 year old in-laws.  They love this stuff and it's the least I can do for them.  Flooding is about 2 blocks away from their house and they don't get around as well as they used to.  I also have a load of pork butts to smoke for them too.  They had a favorite BBQ joint where they used to buy their pork.  Now they have a NEW favorite BBQ joint.  It's called KyNola's Hickory Smoked BBQ. :D

squirtthecat

Great Balls O' Beef!

I need to get one of those next time I make Chicago Style 'Italian' beef..   Gotta be cheaper than a pile of eye of round roasts.

KyNola

Quote from: squirtthecat on May 09, 2011, 12:32:25 PM
Great Balls O' Beef!
I need to get one of those next time I make Chicago Style 'Italian' beef..   Gotta be cheaper than a pile of eye of round roasts.
If I recall correctly, this 10 pound hunk o beef was $27.00 so $2.70/lb.  I did have to do some trimming on it to remove some excess fat and silver skin but essentially it is a "no waste" hunk o beef.

squirtthecat

ghost9mm

Well now there are all kinds of things you could do with that beautiful chunk of meat, but I really like what you are goinng to do with it, and best of all I really like the idea that you are going to help someone else...you da man...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

KyNola

Quote from: ghost9mm on May 09, 2011, 12:44:54 PM
Well now there are all kinds of things you could do with that beautiful chunk of meat, but I really like what you are goinng to do with it, and best of all I really like the idea that you are going to help someone else...you da man...
Thanks G9, after 37 years I could never help them as much as they helped my wife and I went we first got started.

More to come tomorrow...........

deb415611

waiting for tomorrow.......

OU812

Now, that there is a hunk of beef!

What you got planed for it sounds gooood, cant wait to see what happens in chapter two.  ;D

SL2010

You need some good rolls to go with that are you gonna catch the juices to make a dipping sauce

KyNola

Day two with hunk of beef.
The sirloin came out of the frig after the overnight worchestershire sauce nap and was then liberally dusted with Cavender's Greek Seasoning and Morton's Nature's Seasons and tied together for more even cooking.  Into the MAK on the "smoke" setpoint which is around 198 and burning hickory.  Will let it roll smoke for about an hour and then bump the temp in the MAK up to around 275 to take the IT for the meat to around 130.

All seasoned, tied and ready for the MAK.  The darkness on the bottom is shadows, not discoloration.

I'm thinking even Drew Brees would have trouble throwing that football! :D

Tenpoint5

Looks like it is all coming together nicely Larry. I wonder how some Dales Seasoning would be in that sandwich roll?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Chris, I'm sure it would be more than good with some Dale's added but as I'm doing this primarily for my 87 year old in-laws, I had to hold it down a bit.

squirtthecat

What?  No Soileau's?    ;D

Cavendish Greek is good stuff...

OU812

Is it done yet?

Is it done yet?

Is it done yet?

Is it done yet?

Is it done yet?

Is it done yet?

That there hunk of beef is gonna be gooood.

KyNola

As a matter of fact, yes it is done!

One quick shot prior to wrapping in foil for a little down time in the micro and then into the frig overnight.  Hope to slice and show you the inside tomorrow.  Smells awesome.