Jaeger's Beef Sticks

Started by _Bear_, May 09, 2011, 02:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Bear_

Going to try some Jaeger's Beef Sticks but I have a few questions. After you micx up this cure with the beef, how long do you let it sit after you mix up the cure?? Do I mix up the cure and spices with water and mix into the meat?? Any other tips??
Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

SL2010

Now i am not NEPA but the way i do mix the seasoning in water then the cure in the seasoned water   after that the mix into the meat and then into gallon bags over night then i stuff then bloom then into the smoker but

120 F for 1 hr no smoke vent wide open
130 F for an hr, start the smoke,
140 F for an hr.
150 F for an hr.
160 F for an hr.
170 F till the internal temp of the sausage hits 152 F and wait at least 1 min.
i use hickory the whole time

_Bear_

OK don't have any "clear" liquid smoke, just the regular stuff and I cannot find any hickory salt any where in town, any body got a suggestion for a substitute?? What is "bloom" them into the smoker??

•5 lb. lean ground beef
•5 rounded tsp. Morton Tender Quick
•2 1/2 tsp. mustard seed
•2 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
•2 1/2 tsp. coarse ground pepper
•2 tsp. ClearLiquid Smoke
•1 tsp. hickory salt
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

NePaSmoKer

I been doing this a long long time and aint never seen clear liquid smoke?

Just use regular salt and your reg liq smoke. The salt in his recipe is salt that is smoked with hickory.

You can mix, stuff, smoke right away.

Blooming is after the smoke and just a fancy way of saying cool down. The sticks will darken some at this point.

Habanero Smoker

For 5 pounds of meat, Morton states to use 7.5 level teaspoons of TQ. So if you have the measuring spoons already out you may want to use that measure.

As long as you mix the cure in well, and use temperatures similar as SL2010 posted, you do not have to wait any time for the sausage to properly cure. The period of time you are drying your casings in the smoker is sufficient.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

I find its easier to stuff right away after mixing. The meat will firm up if allowed to sit overnight before stuffing making it a little harder to push thru the small tube. But you can do it either way and it will taste the same. I mix, stuff, let sit over night then smoke.

_Bear_

Thanks for the tips guys. I am actually going to try this with 2.5 lbs of ground beef as this is an experiment and cheaper that way if I screw up  ;D
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

_Bear_

Anybody ever try these with some cheddar cheese added into the mix??? I am just getting all the igredents together and I had a hunk of my smoked cheddar sitting there. If I gratted it up and mixed it in I think it would be good. Any thoughts??
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

OU812

Yep, cheese in there is good.

I mix 10% cheese to sausage by weight, for 2.5 lb of sausage that would be 4 oz cheese.  ;D

ghost9mm

Done some cheese, and some apple, and some onion and peppers, I think if you can think it you can do it...lol
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

_Bear_

Well, I followed the recipe almost to the letter for 2.8 lbs of meat LOL. I actually put in 5 oz of smoked finly grated cheddar and 1 tsp of Chipotle Tabasco for a little zing LOL. into the fridge for tonight and into the smoker tomorrow. This is the first time we ever tried making any type of sausage, so the length of them are all over the place  ;D

On Edit: I couldn't wait, they are in the smoker now  ;D, but won't be ready untill after midnight  :-\

Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

_Bear_

Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

OU812

Those snack sticks look GREAT!

Keymaster

ghost9mm

By Golly Bear, them sticks look really good, the color is great and I am pretty sure you tasted them and they past the taste test...lol
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill