Probably the millionth time it has been asked

Started by OneBallBiscuit, May 10, 2011, 05:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneBallBiscuit

First, this is my first time posting. LOVE this forum. Been a great tool in researching to figure out what smoker to purchase.

Pretty much boiled it down to the Digital 4 rack smoker, but now I am reading a ton about this PID with the Original Smoker. Here goes...what is a PID and what does it do? I guess, I just need to know exactly what the PID does and how much of a pain it is to install and why that route is better than a Digital one where everything is already built in.

Thanks a lot for any replies and looking forward to being a part of the forum.

hal4uk

"proportional–integral–derivative" controller --- A PID can be used for a number of processes, but for smoking, it controls temps.
I have a different kind than most of the folks here --- someone will be along to explain the ones you're seeing in various posts.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Louie_Sausage

I'm no expert and dont own a PID YET.... but heres a link to one of the more popular ones.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=151&zenid=6abef99ff8dea41a25c13b1d15ebb430

From what I understand, the PID controls your heating element to keep temps within 1-2 degrees as opposed to the wild temp swings of the one that comes built in to the Digital Bradley Smoker (DBS)..... can be anywhere from 10-30 degree swings.

Also, from reading here on the forums, its not too necessary to own one unless your smoking sausage (and something else, can't remember) which requires a more constant temp.

If your just smoking butts, ribs, chicken and such, the DBS right out of the box will be fine.

I'm sure an expert will be by shortly with a little more info :)

EDIT: If there was a Canadian Distributor for the link above I would have bought one right away, mainly because I originally bought the DBS to smoke sausage.

OneBallBiscuit

Thanks everyone. I am likely going to use for pork, brisket, ribs and maybe chicken...not looking to do sausage really.

ghost9mm

Welcome to the forum, and as you will find out these great folks on this forum never get tired of answering ANY question...as a group the people on this forum are as knowledgeable and are as informative as any I've seen..after you receive your PID you may have several questions, if so just ask.someone will offer help..again welcome to the family..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

OneBallBiscuit

OK. So, allow me one more question that will probably make you all shake your head...

I buy the OBS and then buy a PID from where? Once I have a PID, do I have to install it?

Tenpoint5

If you get the OBS you will have to purchase the PID from Auberins. I believe there is a link posted. Installing the PID is pretty Stupid friendly. I was able to do it. It is plug and play.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Quote from: OneBallBiscuit on May 10, 2011, 06:32:26 AM
OK. So, allow me one more question that will probably make you all shake your head...
I buy the OBS and then buy a PID from where? Once I have a PID, do I have to install it?
First of all, welcome to the forum.  I have the digital model and if I had it to do over again I would buy the Original model and a PID.  In fact, I just purchased a PID for my digital as I am going to begin to learn to make sausages.  It is easy to connect.  No real "installation" to it.  You can plug the power cord from the smoke generator directly to your power source.  You will need an extra power cord(an old computer power cable will work)to plug the tower into the PID and the PID into the power source.  In this format, the PID controls only the heating element in the tower.  The smoke generator remains independent.(The info I just gave you is for hooking up a digital, not sure about needing the extra power cord for the OBS but now that I have said that I don't think you need the extra power cord for the OBS).  Auberins also sells the short power cord you will need for the tower for the digital.

Let's talk about the temp swings.  The heating element when controlled by the OBS or BDS is  either full on or full off.  It will run the temp up 10-15 degrees higher than the setpoint, shut off and let the temp fall 10-15 degrees below the setpoint and then come back on repeating the cycle.  As the meat comes up to temp closer to the heat setpoint, the temp swings lessen and lessen.  With the Auber PID, it continually monitors the temp in the tower and the heating element is on and off multiple times per minute to keep the heat in the tower within a couple of degrees +/- of the setpoint on the PID.  Your Auber will come with a probe you simply put in the tower to measure the temp in the tower.

Sorry for the long post but maybe this will help you some.  Folks more knowledgeable than me will come along and correct any misinformation I have given you.

OneBallBiscuit

KyNola,

You just made it perfectly clear to me that the OBS with the PID thing is the way to go. Thanks for the help. Will order today most likely.

squirtthecat

Another nice thing about the PID (I have and older used PID and OBS) is you can program it in steps...

x cabinet degrees for y hours, step up to z degrees, etc.

The fancy dual probe one can be triggered by the meat probe.

x cabinet degrees until the meat probe hits y degrees, reduce cabinet temp to z degrees

OneBallBiscuit

One last question...so I assume there is a temperature control on the OBS to raise and lower heat? If so, how does the PID incorporate that control? or does it override that?

muebe

Whe the Auberins is installed the temperature slider is moved all the way up...No need to override it ;)

I have an OBS and Auberins Dual Probe PID and I love it! I also just installed a convection fan and upgraded my heating element to a 900W finned style. I can use the smoke control function of the PID to instead control the fan for convection smoking and get more even cabinet temps. These mods are not necessary but I love to tinker with things ;)

Auberins Dual Probe PID and OBS is the way to go ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

squirtthecat

The OBS has a rheostat on the bottom to control the heat.   With the PID, you just leave the rheostat cranked all the way up (slider to the right) and it takes over by pulsing the heating element on until it reaches the target temperature.

[edit]

muebe beat me to the reply.

OneBallBiscuit

You guys the best. Seriously, I can't thank you enough for the help.

TedEbear

Quote from: OneBallBiscuit on May 10, 2011, 07:28:53 AM
KyNola,

You just made it perfectly clear to me that the OBS with the PID thing is the way to go. Thanks for the help. Will order today most likely.

If you haven't ordered it yet there are several options for the Auber PID.  There's the plug-n-play or you can get their PID controller that you install in either a project box or, like some of us have done, install it in the smoke controller box.  The latter take a bit more effort but the PID is less than $45.  Even with adding the cost of a thermocouple, SSR and miscellaneous parts the final cost is around 1/2 of the plug-n-play version. There are a few 'how-to' install articles elsewhere on the forum if you're interested.