Probably the millionth time it has been asked

Started by OneBallBiscuit, May 10, 2011, 05:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneBallBiscuit

Wow...that looks sharp, but something tells me I am not equipped to install that correctly!

KyNola

I KNOW I'm not! :D  That's why Auber made a PID for electronically challenged people like me. "Here, plug this in!" :D

hal4uk

OBB...  I told ya they'd be along...   ;D
Are ya feeling at HOME yet?

You hang around long enough, and we'll introduce you to our resident monkey.
Or maybe even our turtle.
Welcome to the zoo.
Awrighten!

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

GusRobin

If the budget allows, buy the dual probe PID. Either case, both the single probe model and the dual probe model offer a choice of a hanging probe or a wall mounted probe. DON"T BUY THE WALL MOUNT. The hanger one gives you more flexibility and doesn't get in the way when you have a full smoker. You can also hang it below your lowest rack of meat to better control temp.

my 2 cents
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

muebe

Quote from: GusRobin on May 11, 2011, 05:48:17 AM
If the budget allows, buy the dual probe PID. Either case, both the single probe model and the dual probe model offer a choice of a hanging probe or a wall mounted probe. DON"T BUY THE WALL MOUNT. The hanger one gives you more flexibility and doesn't get in the way when you have a full smoker. You can also hang it below your lowest rack of meat to better control temp.

my 2 cents

Ditto...
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

OneBallBiscuit

my 2 cents

Guess I am sorta not getting what the dual probe does...is it essentially the same as having the single probe AND a meat thermometer as well, but just set up in one unit?

FLBentRider

Quote from: OneBallBiscuit on May 11, 2011, 08:23:55 AM

my 2 cents

Guess I am sorta not getting what the dual probe does...is it essentially the same as having the single probe AND a meat thermometer as well, but just set up in one unit?

Yes. And what it allows you to do are things like this:

Step 1 - Run @225F until the IT(Meat probe) is 140F
Step 2 - Run @250F until the IT(Meat probe) is 190F
Step 3 - Run @190F to hold for 4 hours.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

GusRobin

Quote from: OneBallBiscuit on May 11, 2011, 08:23:55 AM
The PID allows you to step function your cabinet temps. It can set each step of smoking to different temperatures and duration. With the single probe you set the duration of each cycle based upon time; with the dual you can set it either by time or when the meat reaches a set IT. With the OBS you can also use the PID to control the smoke generator although this function is limited.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

OneBallBiscuit

After consulting the wife about the purchase, she gave me the "oh, live a little and get it already" text message, so I am now the proud "owner" (awaiting the shipment) of an Original Bradley Smoker with a PID, weather cover and Hickory and Mesquite biscuit jammies.

Thanks ALL of you for all of your help. Hope to be a real active member on here and an looking forward to learning from all of you.

ghost9mm

Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together...lol... :D
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Quarlow

Congrats OBB you won't regret it. If you smoke salmon it will help you to keep from getting the white boogers. Also if you do pulled pork or briskets which we smoke overnight, it adds a level of comfort knowing your temp won't shoot threw the roof and wreck your meat.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Roget

I have had my digital Bradley for about a year & have always been frustrated by the huge temp swings.
However, I have never had a "bad smoke" due to that irritation.
Yesterday I smoked some ribs & the temp varied from 188 to 276.(had the temp set at 230.)
From reading KyNola's post, I assume the reason is largely due to the large "dead zone".
I thought my element was going out when the temp would drop below the set point and the element was not coming on, yet the temp kept dropping. Now I understand why.
I was thinking of getting a PID but it seems you all think it won't help much on a digital. Am I getting that right? I always get nervous when the temp starts to go crazy!
Please let me know if you think I need one or if I would be wasting my wife's hard earned money. LOL
YCDBSOYA

muebe

Roget the PID works well with the digital also. The dual probe PID basically takes over the control of the smoker. Get the PID! You will be very happy with it. And if you can afford it get the dual probe for total control of your smoker ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

OneBallBiscuit

Well, everything came in the mail today. Just gotta learn how to set this thing up with the PID and all the connections. Looks a little complicated but I am psyched that it is here!