My First Attempt at Fresh Sausage...

Started by Kevin A, May 10, 2011, 09:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin A

So after a number of weeks of gathering equipment, information and expert opinions for forums (such as this), I took the plunge and ventured into the world of grinding & stuffing.

Picked up about 16lbs of boneless pork butt from Costco.

Decided to make 3 varieties of sausage; Italian, both hot and sweet varieties (in casings), and a bulk breakfast sausage.

Fired up the new cabela grinder and I was in business. Made 3 separate five-pound batches.

Got a chance to finally use my muzzle-loading "Kirby Cannon" stuffer —which I reckon will actually hold approximately 12 pounds full. I loaded 5 pounds of the sausage (my son assisted using the ramrod to help pack the cannon).

Here it is prior to the workout. We actually used it outside since it was such a nice clear, cool day.

Had a few beginner hiccups in the process. After several 'blow-outs' my boys & I got the hang on correctly applying enough water to the natural casings to ensure smooth transition off the stuffing tube. The nice thing about this stuffer is it is quite easy to control the speed of the meat flow—a very important consideration especially for novices like myself.

The end result:

Bigger image here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/GuitarPix/Stuffer%20Stuff/Ital_hotsweet.jpg

I now have 10 pounds of italian sausage that I'm very happy with. A good learning experience for both me & my sons. Considering it was a first attempt at the SM process (plus using a new grinder and stuffer for the first time), I'm excited at doing it again. I'm expecting delivery of a new Foodsaver today so that will certainly come in handy. Although with 3 near full-grown sons, I dont expect this batch of sausage will last too long.  :)

Kevin

Tenpoint5

There's nothing wrong with them sausages!! You gents did a great job right out of the gate!! I am just guessing here but from what I have read and from past experience. I think it would be relatively safe to say "Your Hooked!!!" We have another sausage maker in our midst!! Or is it 4 sausage makers?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

jiggerjams

Those sausages do look good. What did you do with the breakfast sausage? Patties, links, other?

KyNola

Way to go Kevin!  Congrats.  I have all the stuff to start making sausages but haven't got up the nerve yet.  You have inspired me.

Chili Head

Those look great!
I'm new at stuffing as well and ill tell ya.. there's no going back! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin A

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on May 10, 2011, 10:07:01 AMWe have another sausage maker in our midst!! Or is it 4 sausage makers?

Ha! Yes, my sons were a little unsure (skeptical?) of where the ol' man was going when I broke out the 'meat cannon' but once we got into the whole process & they started seeing the results, they began to change their tune.  ;)

Quote from: jiggerjams on May 10, 2011, 10:30:26 AMThose sausages do look good. What did you do with the breakfast sausage? Patties, links, other?

I opted to just do bulk sausage for the 'breakfast' style. Baby-steps. Sage-based recipe with a little bit of heat. In the Jimmy Dean-style, but 'fresher,' more flavorful & less fatty. Had some for breakfast this morning. Got thumbs up from the tasters.

Quote from: KyNola on May 10, 2011, 10:40:08 AMI have all the stuff to start making sausages but haven't got up the nerve yet. You have inspired me.

Well, I was inspired reading what others have posted here, so I encourage you to take the plunge.
I didn't post photos of all my boo-boos (and I made plenty!), so fear not! Next time I'll know better... ;D

NePaSmoKer

Nice snausage  ;D

The KC in action again

OU812

Thats a good lookin pile of sausage you got there Kevin.

SouthernSmoked

Oh, heck yeah! Very Nice!!

Remember...

Practice Safe Stuffing...Please Use a Casing!!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

viper125

Very nice! Its making me hungry allready. Once youve done it and ate it your hooked for life!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Kevin A

Finally had a chance to try the sausages (I had them 'food-savered' & stored the day after we made 'em!). Had some of the hot italian for breakfast.
Too hot for the wife, but the boys & I found the heat just right! A real good balance between the heat, fennel & anise! Wont last long.

Got 15 more lbs of pork and just over 12 lbs of veal. More sausages coming this weekend!

pikeman_95

Kevin the hook is set deep. Keep cranking it out.

Sailor

Fantastic job!  Sausage making is addicting.  We warned you not to do it  ;D  Now that you have you will not be able to stop.   ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

viper125

There ought to be a warning on this site when you first get on. Danger this may be addictive!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

ghost9mm

Kevin...Don't know what more to say then what has already been said, more attaboys never hurt, well done my friend...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill