Beef Weekend-- Ribs, Pastrami, and Brisket

Started by GusRobin, May 14, 2011, 04:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Decided to do beef ribs, pastrami, and Brisket today.
Went to the local Publix and asked the butcher to cut some beef ribs for me. I usually get my ribs there because they will usually cut them fresh for me.That way you usually get ribs with a little more meat then the pre-packaged ones. Here are the ribs getting ready for the rub. Put a slather of CYM and then rubbed with GP and some "'Bama red", then 3 hours of hickory.

Ribs after 3 hours  and getting ready for a couple of hours in foil. Lost one rib to a taste test.

Ribs after 2 hours of foil. Sprinkled with some Starnes and back into the smoker with an hour of smoke.

Got beans and corn on the cob cooking for sides.

Bought a 4 lb corned beef at Publix. Rinsed and soaked for 1/2 hour.

Rubbed with CYM and a pastrami rub from Habs recipe in the recipe section. Rubbed and ready to go with 3 hours of hickory.

Got the 12 lb brisket at Star Market (same place I pick up the GP and 'Bama red.)
I plan on rubbing it with GP and garlic powder and put it in about 8:00 tonight for an overnight cook. That time works well since I'll put 4 hours of smoke, change the water after the smoke right before I go to bed. It'll give me time to get a good nights sleep.

More pics later

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Quarlow

Oh yeah thanks Gus. I am sitting here wondering what I will have for dinner and you throw those pic's of something I will only be able to drool about. Nice guy. ;D ;D  Looks real good gus. Nice work. Way to beef up your weekend.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

muebe

Looks like you've got your weekend eats covered ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

wyoduke

1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

GusRobin

Quote from: Quarlow on May 14, 2011, 04:20:15 PM
Oh yeah thanks Gus. I am sitting here wondering what I will have for dinner and you throw those pic's of something I will only be able to drool about. Nice guy. ;D ;D  Looks real good gus. Nice work. Way to beef up your weekend.
Q --  Saving a plate for you. The corn on the cob eater was quicker than the photographer.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

ghost9mm

Gus...them is some powerful eats you are cookin up..it all looks so good..it's been raining here all day and blowing, not fit for man or beast out there...being retired I will have another day to cook or smoke something up...well done Gus, really like the looks of them ribs...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

SL2010

everything looks very good i cant wait to see how the pastrami comes out i like those cornbeef briskets you can find the cheap sometimes

GusRobin

Pastrami is in FTC and I'll put it into the fridge in about an hour.
Trimmed the fat off the brisket (use it for sausage at a later date) and separated the point and the flat. Wasn't a clean separation but close enough. Slathered with CYM and added GP rub and garlic powder. Thought I would keep it simple.
Here they are ready to go in.

Point on the top rack, then the flat, on the bottom rack I put 2 small bread pans to collect some drippings. I filled them paart way with Dr Pepper and water. Added 4 hrs of a mixture of Mesquite and Hickory. I'll cahnge the water when the smoke is done and get a good nights sleep.

hal4uk

Lookin good, Gus!!
How did those MEATY beef ribs taste?
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

GusRobin

the ribs were great. Like I noted, when I asked them to cut a rack for me, it usually ends up with very meaty ribs.

hal4uk

Man, I wish we had a Publix up here!
Aside from everything else, Publix has pretty good fresh fried chicken! 
This Meijer store we have---tastes like they cooked theirs two days ago in burnt grease.  Yuk.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Quarlow

Quote from: GusRobin on May 14, 2011, 04:50:50 PM
Quote from: Quarlow on May 14, 2011, 04:20:15 PM
Q --  Saving a plate for you. The corn on the cob eater was quicker than the photographer.

Thanks Gus I will bring my bib and beer. ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

GusRobin

The smoke portion was timed to end at midnight so I could change the water before I went to bed. However I fell asleep watching TV and woke up at 3 am. The water pan was almost dry and the bread pans for the drippings were low also. So changed the water and added water to the pans and went to bed. Woke up at 7:30 and the IT was reading 179. Went back to sleep and 15 minutes later I checked and the Maverick was blank, (Not sure if the batteries were running low or what the problem was but it works fine now.) Went and checked and the IT was between 181 and 190 depending where I probed.
Here are the point and flat all done:

Did a quality test before FTM (or FM since I didn't use a towel in the microwave} and it was a little on the dry side on the thin end, but the rest was tender and moist.
Ended up with a quart and 1/2 of drippings before removing the fat. The drippings are great when you reheat the brisket and also for use in making gravy.

this morning I also sliced, bagged and tagged the pastrami,

Now off to the movies with the wife.