got an order for more jerky

Started by grnhs, May 17, 2011, 07:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grnhs

My son and some of his friends in Iraq requested some more jerky,
My pleasure!

Sams Club for a round roast

two different premade mixes, they liked the HM pepper and garlic last time, also trying some LEM hot jerky wet marinade.

easy to see the difference between the wet and dry cures
alot different finishing time also, will not do together again

Granddaughter liked it too.
Quick question for the gurus, last time I shipped jerky in ziplock and some of it molded, will I avoid that with vac seal?
Thanks
Dave

muebe

Great job on the Jerky!

They do sell moisture absorber packets online. If you put those in each bag that should reduce the excessive moisture and chance of mold....

And vac sealing should solve the problem also..
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

NePaSmoKer

OH YEAH JERKY FOR THE TROOPS

Now there are Americas finest. What unit is he with (you can pm me that if you wish)

My son is with the 82nd AA 2-504 PIR Done 3 tours in Iraq. My other son was with the 7th G SF and did 2 in Afgn.

Say hello to them guys and a big TY from another Army dad.

KyNola

I think when NePaS ships jerky to Iraq he sprays it with potassium sorbate solution to avoid the mold issue and then vac seal.  What about it Rick?  Can you help the guy out on the mold issue?

NePaSmoKer

Yes the vac seal will eliminate the air which causes the mold. Like Ky said when i ship to Iraq, Afgn i spray PS on it and let the jerky dry before the seal.

If you dont have PS no biggie just vac seal it and do a double seal on both ends.

Zip lock bags just make the jerky/sticks bleed moisture and make the item go bad.

KyNola

I knew he would come around! ;)

grnhs

thanks for the info, not sure what potassium sorbate is but I will research.
NEPA they are in the montana national guard. 163rd infantry, mission is convoy security.They are a lot more disciplined unit than the guard was back when, or even the RA when I was in. I pray they will all be home soon.
Thank your sons also for their service.
Jerky is vac sealed and hidden in the freezer from the rest of the rugrats.will ship tomorrow with mama's cookies.
Dave 

GusRobin

Granddaughter is a little cutie.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

DisplacedCoonass

Might be a silly question but...Rick, when you send your sons jerky, how long can they expect it to last?  We're putting together care packages to send to all the IA folks from our command for 4th of July.  Trying to get an idea of how much I should make for each.

digitalsmoker

how thin did you slice these and nice work

grnhs

Thanks
I set the slicer at about 1/4". #7 on the cabelas slicer.
they seemed a little thinner than that on the rack though.

grnhs