New to smoking sausage

Started by smiks, May 16, 2011, 01:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smiks

Last year I got hooked on making fresh sausage. Now looking to move into smoking sausage also. I have purchased the Auber duel probe PID and still haven't pulled the trigger on which smoker to get(4 or 6). If I get the 6 rack, is a fan kit necessary? For those who have the fan kit, Does it help. Then there is the question of the heating element. Is that recommended? I'm leaning to the 6 rack to have more room to hang sausage but i do not want the issue of the bottom of the hanging sausage up to temp and the top never getting there. Any and all input is appreciated.

GusRobin

I have the OBS so I can't speak to the 6 rack. With the OBS I don't have a fan and have not had issues with smoking sausage.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

NePaSmoKer

Its all what you like. Either the 4 or 6 will work fine.

I have the 6 and is perfect for sausage hanging and do not have a fan in mine.

Tenpoint5

I have the 4 and the 6 no fan kit either will work just fine. The 6 has more room for longer casings. (Summer Sausage)
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Hopefull Romantic

I have the 6 DBS and the PID no fan and no extra heating element YET. Although I have not bowed to the sausage making urge YET but I never had problems with the food at the to racks heating up.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

jiggerjams

I got the 6 with a pid. Have made smoked sausage once on racks. Turned out great. I may hang the next batch. I do not for see any problems hanging sausage in the 6 rack. I think my 6 rack is great!!

smiks

Thanks for the information. I think I will get the 6 rack and an extra element just in case! When rotating the racks top to bottom and front to back how often are you doing this and do you do it the same way when cooking something like ribs, or shoulders?