Easy Temperature control

Started by SoupGuy, September 30, 2005, 01:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoupGuy

Here is the Paktronics thermostatic control that maintains a steady temperature in my smoker...

http://66.148.61.35/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=781&osCsid=8510eb1b895f3ae04e6c7c5f85da41bd

(AlliedKenco .com)

I see no reason why this couldn't be installed on a BS unless the heater is something other than 110VAC. Mine is installed on a custom smoker and controls a 1500 watt electric heater I purchased from Cabela's.

It is very accurate and always within 2 degrees of my Mav ET remote thermometer (the probes are installed at the top of the smoker right next to each other).

Installation is very easy. Feed the unit 110VAC, wire your heater to it, install temp probe in the smoker. Done.

No more temperature baby-sitting and adjusting!!!

Good luck!

Oldman

Thanks for the link. I gave these folks a call and they are going to call the factory and then E-mail to me what the factory says the swings are. However, they have one of them hooked up to a smoker and they said that in their opinion that the swing is at least 5 degrees up and down.

This may  not be important to some, however, it is to me. Don't get me wrong I'm not challenging your posting. If it is a 2 degree up and down for $100.00 it is worth it. He said it was "electronic" and if that is a form of a PID controller then we are in the money.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Oldman

This is the E-mail I recieved back from Cody:
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2"><font color="blue">Raye
The differential (or static deadspan) is + or - 1% of the span. On the unit we sell the span is 50 degrees to 250 degrees so the span amount is 200. The differential amount would be + or - 2 degrees.
This is per the mfg. I have not tested it.

Cody Brown
Kenco Service
713-691-2935
800-356-5189

</font id="blue"></font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

With Soups post and now this E-mail I think I will order one. 100 bucks for almost a plug and play is hard to beat.

Thanks Soup!

Olds

EDIT It will run on 240 volts!

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MWS

Sounds pretty good. If you do order it Olds, please give us a review.

<i><font color="green"><b>Mike </i></font id="green"></b>

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

SoupGuy

It just ocurred to me that this unit can be implemented for a Bradley Smoker WITHOUT tearing into the box and trying to wire the heater element separately from the smoke generator. A task I personally would not care to attempt (yeah, I'm the same guy who drilled over 30 holes in his boat to accomodate electronics and other things to make his fishing more successfull).

I am a little challenged on exactly how one uses a BS compared to my own home-grown smoker. But one thing comes to mind that is very similar... we both 1) smoke (with some heat, of course) then 2) finish cooking (no smoke) and then likely FTC.

Why then couldn't you simply SMOKE your product in the BS as you normally would for 1 or 2 hours (however many....) THEN plug your BS into this temperature contol set at your desired heat level and let it finish at exactly the TEMP you select?

I think that if you have a good working stirring fan in the BS and this temperature control installed, you might never need to rotate racks or have the wife watch the temperature for you ever again!

Imagine the freedom to watch bowl games without fear of destroying your goodies!? This is why I bought the thing in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED siting in front of the smoker all day drinking beer (Heineken) making sure the TEMP did not get out of control.... but overnight smoke-cooking sure got easier using this device.

With a sure way to control temperature, and the reliability of the amount of smoke you get by using a predetermined number of pucks, I think this will save you lots of time and worry about 'getting it right'.

Good luck!!! [:D]

Oldman

This is how I'm going to do it.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Why then couldn't you simply SMOKE your product in the BS as you normally would for 1 or 2 hours (however many....) THEN plug your BS into this temperature contol set at your desired heat level and let it finish at exactly the TEMP you select?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Well I don't understand why someone would do it this way. A person sure would not want the generator being controlled at any point by the on/ off of the controller.

Olds

car54

I used my improved PID controller for the 1st time. It was flawless. I set it at 205 degrees and once it reached that temp. it <font color="red">STAYED</font id="red"> there with no deviation.

I have about $70.00 into it but I had to do my own wiring.

The link that soupnazi gave may be the way to go if you don't feel like tinkering with something.

I highly recommend this type of controller. It is dead on with no guesswork.

click to enlarge

Brad

car54

If you go to soupnazi's link there is alot of good stuff at that site and the prices seem reasonable.

Brad

MrBlitz

Just wondering ... this unit the PakP ... does it have a 110 plug or how is it hooked up?  I am electrically challenged so any help would be appreciated (tips?)  Just go my Bradley about 2 weeks ago and will be throwing my second batch of salmon on tomorrow morning.

Take care,
Peter

TomG

I got my PAK P64A temp control kit for $99.95 from Kenco yesterday.  It is definetly not plug and play.  A much better choice, unless you want a 4-8 hour project and probably another $10-15 in parts, is their prewired and ready to use AKS P64AB kit for $149.95.  It uses the same controller but is truly P&P.  Since I haven't installed my unit yet, I can't comment on accuracy, reliability, etc.

Oldman

Tom,
Sorry when I said almost a P&P. I was not thinking. [B)] For me the 99 dollar unit is almoat a P&P. [;)]

The temp swing on the completed unit (149.) P64AB is a little more than the one you have. If I understand it correctly the swing is + or - 2.5 degrees F. Although that P64AB sure looks easy to install. [^]

Anyway let us know what you think when you do get it install. I've just been too busy at nights to even think of purchasing any type yet.

Olds

TomG

Finally got my Kenco temp. controller plug and play. If I were to go this route again I'd get their prewired version for $50 more. Setup per Oldman's suggestion, with the box hooked up to power and BS heater feed, RTD probe down the vent and BS temp slide to max, the control worked beautifully, holding temps(monitored with a calibrated dig. thermometer) at 85, 140, and 225 degrees for at least 3hours each with an accuracy of +-2 degrees and ambient 55-70

Harness assembled with AC cord and terminal strip

Controller mounted on 1/4" ABS plastic sheet and wired.

The "Box" ready to P&P

Gordon

hmmm...the only thing that come to mind is...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKK!!!!!!!!

Gordo

SoupGuy

I personally got the prewired and boxed unit for $149. When I tried to find it before posting here I couldn't find it prewired and simply sent the link to the BASIC (you need to wire) unit.

In any event, I hope it helps somebody as well as it has helped make my life a whole lot easier! For once, something out there really works great!

Good Luck!

Best known not for soup, but rather smoked meats... and stuff

SoupGuy

Oh- YES... Allied Kenco has a lot of useful stuff for those in this trade/hobby. I often check between them and SausageMaker.com and Northerntool.com for the best prices on these sorts of 'things'.

ALL of these sites are top-notch. SausageMaker.com prices are a bit high on most things, but they ship VERY fast and I've never had a problem with any order from them.

I apologize to anyone that ordered the temp-control unit using my link and didn't find the prewired one they still have available! Mine has been working flawlessly for over two years now- except for the one time I pulled out a rack and tore the probe off the wire doing so (be careful!). In any event, Allied Kenco had a replacement probe delivered to me the same week (uh, yes- I paid. MY fault)

Can anyone smell that?  Crimmeney... Kielbasa in the smoker. Even my kitchen smells AWESOME from the raw/spiced meat before putting it into the smoker outside!

SMOKE ON!!!

Best known not for soup, but rather smoked meats... and stuff