Which smoker to buy?

Started by smiks, May 13, 2011, 11:37:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smiks

I have ordered the Auber dual probe PID. Now I need to decide which smoker to get. I am going to be smoking ribs, butts, chickens and sausage. I think the 6 rack would be nice for hanging sausage, but I am concerned about the heat levels at the top of the unit. Wont be able to rotate hanging sausages. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there smiks

I have the PID and the 6 rack DBS and have not any any problems with the heat in the upper part and I have used all six rack more than once and all the food was done properly.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

KyNola

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on May 13, 2011, 12:30:22 PM
Hi there smiks
I have the PID and the 6 rack DBS and have not any any problems with the heat in the upper part and I have used all six rack more than once and all the food was done properly.
HR
And HR knows of which he speaks.  You shouldn't have an issue with the heat.  BTW, you can rotate hanging sausages if you need to.  Simply rotate front to back and vice versa.

ghost9mm

First welcome to the forum smiks, the voices of experience here will not steer you wrong, the 6 rack has a lot going for it, and if that is what you choose, I think you made a good choice..again welcome.
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

GusRobin

I think it boils down to a matter of budget and usage. With the dual PID and an OBS you have most of the benefits of the digital. I use the OBS for sausage and don't have a problem. There are times when I wish I had an extra couple of racks. To me the optimum would be an OBS smoke generator, PID and 6 rack cabinet with a dual element mod. But that is not available. If I thought I would really need the space I would go with the 6 er, PID and add the dual element. While there are times I wish I had more space, I am happy with what I have. So if budget was an issue I would go with OBS, dual PID and spend the extra money on a maverick remote temp,frogmats, and some type of cabinet (don't have a covered area for the Bradley)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

smiks

I'm leaning toward the 6 rack, and will probably add the second element. What is the overall opinion on adding a fan? Which type? I seen a fan kit for the bradley at smokeandstuff.com, it seems that it would help the temps at the top of the unit making sure to evenly heat hanging sausage.

muebe

Here is a link to that fan kit...

http://smokeandstuff.com/index.php/products/complete-fan-kit

I took a look at it and they only have one picture of it installed on the outside. No picture of the fan installed inside, the motor, or any specs. For $82 dollars I would want much more details before buying it.

I just installed a convection fan from a fridgidaire oven on mine. It is working really well so far. I got it used off of e-bay for $25 bucks. The fan is controlled by the PID. I also have a 900W finned element installed  ;D

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

smiks

I found the 6 rack at overstock.com for $445 with $3 shipping.