Buckboard bacon

Started by cathouse willy, May 15, 2011, 11:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathouse willy

I just finished the last of the batch of buckboard bacon (from Squirt's list ).

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=22024.0

The recipe calls for a hot smoke but I'm itching to try the triple cold smoke from Habanero's recipe. The hot smoke version is delicious and I'm hoping the cold smoke will be even better.

wyoduke

Triple cold smoked is to dye for my fsmily will fight for it going out the door so watch how and who you give it too they will get you :o
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

ghost9mm

Well it sure looks great, and if it's one of squirts receipes it has already pasted the taste test...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

squirtthecat

Quote from: ghost9mm on May 19, 2011, 01:51:57 PM
Well it sure looks great, and if it's one of squirts receipes it has already pasted the taste test...

Oh, not my recipe.   Probably from my post that linked to Len Poli's sausage/curing recipes.

I've never come up with anything original in my life.   :D

Smokin Soon

I have never tried Poli's version of Buckboard Bacon, just the one from the recipe site. I was curious why his called for cure #2?? Yours is pic perfecto!

cathouse willy

I used Tender Quick at a rate of 1 heaping tbsp per lb.and cut back a bit on the salt and sugar.Why TQ? its what I had and worked just fine.It has both #1 and #2 cure so it's covered both ways.With all the sugar and molasses it's quite sugary but the salt balances the flavour.

cathouse willy

So I've got 4 lbs of buckboard bacon out of the cure,rinsed and drying overnite.I's going to get the 3 day cold smoke so the smoker will be busy for a few days. Those chunks of pork aren't going to fill the shelves so I'm looking for extra stuff that can use some cold smoke. I've got a block of cheddar and some almonds but there's still lots of room. The smoke will run 3 to 4 hrs per day at low temps. Any suggestions?

OU812

Put some salt and pepper on a coffee filter (salt on one and pepper on a nother) and leave in the smoker the whole time, stir in between each smoke time.

Good stuff.

cathouse willy

Something to show for three days of tending the smoker.

Three lbs of triple smoked bacon, 2 lbs of smoked almonds and a lb of cheddar.
A picture of the setup

mighty tasty.

Habanero Smoker

Nice job. I was wondering if the Triple Smoke method would have any noticeable effect on a thicker type of bacon. Now I am going to have to make some Triple Smoked Buckboard.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

cathouse willy

I also wondered how much smoke wold penetrate a thick roll so I cured it for two weeks and smoked the bacon for two days before I rolled it up. A taste test confirmed it was a good idea.It turned out wonderfully smokey and firm.