Bradley Pecan Smoked Whole Chicken With TBE Finish

Started by muebe, May 15, 2011, 12:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muebe

I had a whole chicken I pulled from the deep freeze. I used my new silicone bands to keep the legs/wings tucked in place and the chicken was placed on the beer can holder. Chicken was rubbed with peanut oil and then Costco's Sweet Mesquite rub. I put the TBE basket in the Bradley and set the PID to convection with 6 pecan pucks at 225F for 2.3 hours. After two hours the IT of the chicken was 128F. I then moved it straight to the TBE for the finish until IT was 158F. Nice crispy skin and juicy smoked meat! Bradley and TBE...what a great combo for chicken ;D

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

smoker pete

Doesn't get any better than that muebe!!  I'll take a plate of that.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

ghost9mm

Dang..muebe...great lookin chicken, never used a TBE but I am pretty sure there is one in my future... :D
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

muebe

Quote from: ghost9mm on May 15, 2011, 05:40:34 PM
Dang..muebe...great lookin chicken, never used a TBE but I am pretty sure there is one in my future... :D

It will be the best $99 you ever spent ;D
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

zueth

Thinking about getting a TBE, how do you like yours?

I have deep fired many turkeys, and my concern is that the TBE would not be able to match that flavor.

My understanding is it uses infrared to fry the bird instead of using oil.  Is that correct?

OU812

Good lookin bird muebe, smokefried chicken, dont get any better than that.

Quote from: zueth on May 16, 2011, 01:14:42 PM

I have deep fired many turkeys, and my concern is that the TBE would not be able to match that flavor.

My understanding is it uses infrared to fry the bird instead of using oil.  Is that correct?

I havent used my oil fryer sense I got TBE, the only flavor youll miss is the flavor of the oil.

I now rub my birds with peanut oil and yes TBE uses infrared to cook the meat, works GREAT.

Hopefull Romantic

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

TMB

Quote from: zueth on May 16, 2011, 01:14:42 PM

Great looking bird muebe!

TBE and SRG are both great cookers and when you team them up with the Bradley it's win win!

I have had many folks tell me my turkeys turn out better in TBE or SRG then in an OIL FRIER!
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

muebe

My brother-in-law has a Turkey fryer and it does turn out moist and delicious from it. But I would not say it is better than a TBE Turkey...

Sure a Turkey fryer can cook a little faster(7 minutes a lb and 10 for TBE) but it takes at least 30 minutes to bring the oil up to temp meanwhile a TBE is ready within a few minutes.

You can put rubs on the fried Turkey but as soon as you drop it in then the rub comes off...TBE the rub stays on the skin.

Cleaning a Turkey Fryer is not fun. Disposing or storage of the oil is a real pain. When you are done with TBE just run it for 15 minutes to burn everything, scrape the bottom of the cooker, and then dump the oil catch...very easy.

The TBE and SRG are so versatile. You can cook ribs, chicken, fish, steaks, and even bake in the thing. Try that with a Turkey Fryer.

I cannot recommend these cookers enough! If you do not have one you should. If you do and have not I hope to change your mind ;)

OU812

What muebe said,,,,, except I dont have a brother-in-law.  ;D

zueth

Thanks for the info, looks like I will be purchasing one very soon.

TMB

Quote from: zueth on May 18, 2011, 10:56:42 AM
Thanks for the info, looks like I will be purchasing one very soon.
Go for the New SRG instead of TBE, you can do a lot more with it.

Believe me I know I have 2 of them  ;D

zueth

Does the TBE SRG fry as well, I see it says it Smokes, Roast, and Grills

TMB

Quote from: zueth on May 18, 2011, 01:20:14 PM
Does the TBE SRG fry as well, I see it says it Smokes, Roast, and Grills
Yes it's just a larger size but the same cooking concept. It will smoke if you use blocks of wood or the "Tommy Ring" TM with woodm pellets.  This is a 10 to 11 in spring form cake ring that the basket sits on and it will keep wood pellets up on the chamber so they will start to smoke.