Bradley Pecan Smoked Whole Chicken With TBE Finish

Started by muebe, May 15, 2011, 12:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

muebe

Quote from: zueth on May 18, 2011, 02:44:22 PM
Whats the biggest bird you can fry in it?

TBE is 16 pounds and SRG I believe is 25 pounds...

TBE is $99 and new model SRG is $199
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

zueth

So I guess the question is, is the SRG worth the extra $100?

OU812

Quote from: zueth on May 18, 2011, 03:30:36 PM

I'm happy with TBE and grill on it too, besides I never buy a turkey bigger than 12 lb anyway.  ;D

TMB

Quote from: zueth on May 18, 2011, 03:30:36 PM
Yes it is, take it from me it's worth the money!.. I own 2 of them and I can't see doing without them.

I just wish I had the money rt now to get the newest version
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

muebe

Now for my two cents ;)

I have two TBEs. I just purchased a new one. Now I really like the SRG but the TBE works better for me...

1. The price of $99 worked out better for my second purchase. Left me more money toward my new pellet grill ;D

2. I have a SRG grill(just the grill itself) that I bought from Char-Broil for $50 with shipping. I added some clamps so it will not slide around the top of the TBE and it works great. I can remove it and put it on either TBE when needed.

3. I already have two smokers(gas and electric) and have a third one on the way(pellet) so the smoking feature of the SRG is something that I do not really need.

4. Size...I actually like the smaller size of the TBE. It is a little easier to transport on trips. I never do any birds larger than 16 lbs also.

Now as others have stated you need to decide what you want to do with it. If you already have a nice grill that you use and a smoker than maybe the TBE is a better choice for you. If you do not have any cookers than the SRG is a great choice and value for the money.

Now I am taking my two cents back because I am dang near broke with all the cooking equipment i have been buying lately :D
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

stiffyman

OU812

Quote from: stiffyman on June 01, 2011, 06:31:58 AM
what does SRG and TBE mean please?

Smoker Roaster Grill

The Big Easy

Boath made by Char Broil.

zueth

Quote from: muebe on May 15, 2011, 12:00:31 PM
I had a whole chicken I pulled from the deep freeze. I used my new silicone bands to keep the legs/wings tucked in place and the chicken was placed on the beer can holder. Chicken was rubbed with peanut oil and then Costco's Sweet Mesquite rub. I put the TBE basket in the Bradley and set the PID to convection with 6 pecan pucks at 225F for 2.3 hours. After two hours the IT of the chicken was 128F. I then moved it straight to the TBE for the finish until IT was 158F. Nice crispy skin and juicy smoked meat! Bradley and TBE...what a great combo for chicken ;D

Did you rub seasoning under the skin or just on out side?  was it brined?

muebe

SoCalBill

I just ordered a TBE. Can you link the silicone bands you used?

muebe

SouthernSmoked

Dang!!!

Now that's some great lookin chicken!

Niiiice job Michael!!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

OldHickory

Good job and a great looking bird.  It too looks as if you are priming up for Thanksgiving.  The pics are also great.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.