too hot

Started by Cutterone, April 20, 2004, 11:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutterone

I just got my Bradley and have seasoned it and am now doing my first batch of jerky,but I can't seem to get the temperature to stay down. Most of the recipes I see call for 140-160 and even with the temp control all the way down I am running at 190.[}:)] I bought a seperate thermometer that I put in the top vent to check and it to says 190.[}:)] seems like everyone else has the opposite problem of not getting hot enough. Temperature here right now is 70. Any suggestions ?

Fuzzybear

Did you put water in the bisket bowl?  Top vent open?  Is your Bradley in the sun?

Water in the bowl helps keep temps down or ice...
The vent will let heat out
Placing the Bradley in the sun will increase the temp - especially if it's "black" like mine - heat absorbtion....

Past, that I don't have any ideas and I'm scratching my head to figure out how to help you out on it..........

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Cutterone

Yes it is black and was in the sun, today was sun/cloud mix. I was doing jerky and all the recipes I've seen said to not put water in the pot, but I did leave the vent wide open. Thanks for your reply.

Oldman

This may not help...but check your thermometer's reading against boiling water. I got two that read 30 to 50 degrees too hot.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Bassman

Cutter, You should always put water in the bowl, The purpose of the water bowl is not to add moisture (not needed with the bradley)but to extinguish the bisquetts.Adding ice will help to keep it cool.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Chez Bubba

Guys,

I just think it is so cool that we have developed a community that has such a wide cumulative base of knowledge that so many posters can jump in with valuable info to help out the newbies. Gone are the days when I felt responsible to try & answer every question asked as the groups' wisdom has far exceeded my own.

My hat's off to you all, thanks for being a part of the passion.[:)]

Kirk[8D]

ps SMOKE IT BABY!!!![8D][8D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Cutterone

I kept my smoker in the shade and added water to the pot and was able to regulate the temp at 150 for my second batch of jerky. It turned out great.[:D] Thanks to all that responded.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />Guys,

I just think it is so cool that we have developed a community that has such a wide cumulative base of knowledge that so many posters can jump in with valuable info to help out the newbies. Gone are the days when I felt responsible to try & answer every question asked as the groups' wisdom has far exceeded my own.

My hat's off to you all, thanks for being a part of the passion.[:)]

Kirk[8D]

ps SMOKE IT BABY!!!![8D][8D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<b>I take it that the check is in the mail then???</b>

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Fuzzybear

Glad you got your temp under control Cutter!

Congrats on a better batch and glad you don't have to chew leather![8D]

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Richard Pearce

<font face="Comic Sans MS"></font id="Comic Sans MS"><font color="blue"></font id="blue">Morning Gord,
I've had similar problems when it gets too hot. You must have water in the bowl to extinguish the biscuits before they burn too much and get a bitter flavour; I've used ice cubes in the bowl and scattered on the bottom drainage shelf and these definitely help to lower the temperature.
I can't say enough about getting a good thermometer; I am just about to order the one which appears occasionally on this forum (whose name I have forgotten....Maverick perhaps?) which has two probes: one for the meat and one for the BS. I've looked but I can't find this one in Canada.[:)]

Stouffville, Ontario, Canada.
Richard Pearce

ChefJeff

I believe that the thermometer you want is available at Northern tool Co.Check their web site.or try one of the cookware sites Chefs.com,cooking.com. Hope this helps.[^][:D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN