Grapette Soda BBQ Sauce

Started by NePaSmoKer, May 16, 2011, 10:57:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Going to make some bbq sauce for the NEPASO

The wet bunch.

The dry bunch.

Will post more when i get this all together.

Tenpoint5

This does sound interesting and scary all at the same time!!! Will be checking back on this one for sure!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Ok here is what you will need. You can save the ketchup bottles for when the sauce cools down or use 5, 1 qt mason jars.

The wet items

3, 24 oz bottles of any kind of ketchup
1 qt of plain old vinegar
1 bottle tabasco
1-2 bottles of Wal Mart Grapette soda. I guess you can use other kind to. I normally use 1 bottle but have 2 just in case.
1 small baseball sz mustard.

The dry

1, 4 oz can black pepper
4 oz of garlic salt (not powder or granulated)
1/2 to 1 cup white sugar (depends on how sweet you like it) I used 1/2
4 oz of your fav chili powder.

Empty the ketchup into the pan.

Invert the bottles to get all the ketchup. After you have gotten the ketchup out.

Fill with the soda and swoosh around to get all the ketchup. Do this to all 3 bottles.

Now empty the ketchup/soda you swooshed into the pan.

Stir well and turn heat to med/high and add the qt of vinegar. Stir again to combine.

Now dump the 4oz can of black pepper, garlic salt, chili powder and sugar into a measuring cup or bowl. STIR POT AGAIN SO IT DONT BURN.

I use a whisk here when i add the dry. Whisk in very good.

Turn the heat to high and bring to a broil and stir/whisk to keep from burning. 10 Mins

Next add the bottle of mustard. Whisk this in very good. The color will change here.

Heat is still on high and your whisking.....RIGHT....GOOD Now add the Tabasco

Whisk in the Tabasco and lower the heat to simmer for 30 mins. The sauce will thicken here. Keep stirring/whisking.

I have found that the newer ketchup bottles dont hold up good to the heat so i save them for later.

Now pour the sauce into the mason jars.

You should have 5 qts. Now put lids and rings on.

The sauce does not need to be friged at any time due to the vinegar content. However if you feel safe in the fridge then go ahead. Sauce will keep until you sop it all up or give it away.

ENJOY

KyNola

Pretty sure I've seen this before.  Give it up NePaS, what's the name of it?  Dang it I can't remember the name.  Rick?

hal4uk

Me too... I could google it, but too old and tired...
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Mr Walleye

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Quarlow

I am glad that doesn't need to be friged especially after being broiled.  :D :D :D I will go back to my corner now. So what is the flavour like and how thick is it? This looks like a good recipe.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Bigbirdoffroad

Have you tried making this with Cider Vinegar?
I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Bigbirdoffroad on May 17, 2011, 04:51:47 AM
Have you tried making this with Cider Vinegar?

Not yet but i think it would be good.

TestRocket

This looks like something to try! Bookmarked, thanks!  ;D

lumpy

Do I dip your ribs in this sauce ;)

watchdog56

Do the mason jars need to be boiled and left until they seal themselves or do you put the sauce in and then leave the lid off to cool?

rdevous

Would this recipe work with root beer or Coke??

Ray

If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

Quarlow

That sounds like it would work rdev. It would definitely add a different flavour to the mix. Why not try it and report your findings.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.