Whoops!!!

Started by itchybeard, May 16, 2011, 12:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itchybeard

On My first Cheese smoke(Mild & Sharp Cheddar). I realised I had inadvertently put 3hrs of Hickory in the smoker instead of 2  :(
It actually smoked for 2hr 40 min. Will it be to strong?

It looks OK smelt like an old ash tray though. I let it cool then vacum packed it now the wait.........am I right in 2 weeks ? looking forward to it.
Did some peanut Oil as well at the same time.
here is a sample.

Your thoughts are eagerly antisipated.
Happy Smoking ><((((((o>~~~~~
Itchy

Just coming dear...:D

FLBentRider

I've put that much Hickory on cheese with no issues.

You might want to try it in two weeks and re-vac seal if it still too strong.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ka Honu

Smoke taste might be a bit strong, might not.  It's all personal preference.  If you think it's too strong or not strong enough, someone in your circle of friends and family will love it.

jiggerjams

I have read that the longer you leave it the better it tastes. I think the standard most use on the forum is a 3 week wait period.

pensrock

I smoke cheese for 2-3 or 4 hours, its all good.

ghost9mm

We have been leaving it vac sealed for 4 weeks and we like it alot better, and no I can't say it tastes like a old ashtray, never tasted one...lol.. :D
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

GusRobin

If too smokey you can always use in omlets, or some other recipe that may dilute the taste. Or try waiting longer. Or send to my house and I will see that it is properly disposed.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Scotty-G

I have cold smoked 3 hrs and let rest 3-4 weeks under vacuum and no complaints here  :P :D

Try it on a pizza - smoked cheese pizza with sliced jalapenos, onions, BBQ chicken and sun tried tomato's
Can mix with other cheese too

itchybeard

Cheers for the replies folks, cant wait to give them a try. I will let you know how they taste. I am very pleased with the oil will now get some different oils and try different wood flavours. I know its a bit off thread but anyone gone down this route before?
Itchy

rcger

I've got some Cheddar I smoked back in November.  I'm going to crack it open this weekend.  I know it's going to be GOOOOOOOOOD!
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

Hopefull Romantic

IB
smoked chesse is more of a personal preference to how potent the smoke. I have done 4 hours and ate them up after two week. But what I really want to know is how in God's name you smoked the oil.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

bears fan

And what do you do with smoked peanut oil?  This might be a first for smoked oil on this forum.  I could be wrong though.

whayek

I once smoked med. cheddar for 6hrs..still tasted great, but I think all I did was waste a bunch of smoke pucks, didn't tast much different than cheese I amoked for 3 hrs.
Little Chief
Big Chief
(Current) Bradley Smoker

itchybeard

Quote from: bears fan on May 18, 2011, 06:01:54 PM
And what do you do with smoked peanut oil?  This might be a first for smoked oil on this forum.  I could be wrong though.
Hi bears Fan.
I do stir fried chicken with the oil it gives it that slight smoked Hickory flavour you can also put a drizzle on salads etc. Not sure whether it matures with age but it certainly absorbs the flavour. Use it anywhere where you would use oil but want that bit of smoky flavour.
Have a go....

I keep opening the bottle and having a sniff.

The combination of oils and wood flavours are endless... I shall be experimenting  :).

It would be interesting if anyone else has done some.

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on May 18, 2011, 08:48:55 AM
IB
smoked chesse is more of a personal preference to how potent the smoke. I have done 4 hours and ate them up after two week. But what I really want to know is how in God's name you smoked the oil.

HR

Hi HR

You put the oil in a large open fairly deep tray ( make sure it fits on the racks ). I use the cheap aluminium ones as you can shape the corner in to a good pouring flute so you can pour back into the bottle and cold smoke it for 2-3 hours and it absorbs the smoke. I do a 500ml bottle at a time in the tray. I daresay that you could do more though.
Then pour back into the bottle.

This could be the start of something big. ;)
Itchy

Quarlow

I will be putting 3 hrs of smoke to my next batch of cheese. I do like a smokey cheese but with 2 hrs I wanted way more.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.