Snack Stick Stuffing Problems

Started by joespiek, December 19, 2011, 01:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Quote from: CoreyMac on December 19, 2011, 03:18:03 PM
This is a strange one, I have a little 5lb stuffer, and I did some sticks this weekend virtually the same kind you did, 22mm collagen, used a 5/8 horn. It was all I could do to keep the meat from coming out and its just a hand crank machine. Plus I feel I put too little water in and it still went fine.
How did you get 22mm casings on a 5/8 inch stuffing tube? I would have thought they would have required a 3/8 inch tube.

CoreyMac

Quote from: KyNola on December 20, 2011, 01:17:24 PM
Quote from: CoreyMac on December 19, 2011, 03:18:03 PM
This is a strange one, I have a little 5lb stuffer, and I did some sticks this weekend virtually the same kind you did, 22mm collagen, used a 5/8 horn. It was all I could do to keep the meat from coming out and its just a hand crank machine. Plus I feel I put too little water in and it still went fine.
How did you get 22mm casings on a 5/8 inch stuffing tube? I would have thought they would have required a 3/8 inch tube.

The casings I got from The Sausage Maker indicated that 22mm was 7/8" so they went on fine. Took a bit to get them started but not too bad. 

kdunla

Is your o-ring an actual o-ring or more of a gasket?  My Cabelas horizontal 11 lb. stuffer has more of a gasket and I had the same problem with snack sticks.  I ended up installing it backwards and that corrected the blowout problem.  I think that the groves in the inside of the gasket fill up with meat which then forces the outside of the gasket to seal a lot tighter against the cylinder wall with it installed backwards.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: kdunla on December 23, 2011, 08:08:20 PM
Is your o-ring an actual o-ring or more of a gasket?  My Cabelas horizontal 11 lb. stuffer has more of a gasket and I had the same problem with snack sticks.  I ended up installing it backwards and that corrected the blowout problem.  I think that the groves in the inside of the gasket fill up with meat which then forces the outside of the gasket to seal a lot tighter against the cylinder wall with it installed backwards.

kdunla

That's interesting... Mine came installed that way (opening in gasket open to the meat) and I've never had a problem. I assumed it was the correct way because as you indicated it makes perfect sense.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

viper125

Well if your stuffing right away its not getting thick. So either the tube is plugging up or not getting enough pressure to blow it out. I'm guessing pressure. Try reversing the o=ring or gasket if that don't do it I'd try getting or making a thicker one. I havn't had troubles at all stuffing any size and Im using a old cast iron enterprise. It will squirt out if I dont get the ring just right but just a little turn and no problem.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

neocostical

i used a friend of mine cabelas stuffer and it did the same thing.  I ended up having the stuffer plate in upside down. Once i figured that out it worked very good  He also made a stainless steel bushing that allowed the stuffer plate to go down all the way to the bottom.  The foot control is great for one person operation. 

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=47.812586,-92.247584

kdunla

Mike,

I don't recall how my gasket was installed when I got it but I originally figured it went in with the flat side forward.  Seems to work great the other way though.  Hmm, makes me want to make some more sausage to try it some more...

Thanks for the reply,
Kevin