Internal Temp. For Chicken Sausages.

Started by Low and Slow, May 16, 2011, 03:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Low and Slow

Hi all, new here love this forum! I am attempting my first batch of smoked chicken sausage that I will have properly cured with #1 cure. My question is to what internal temperature should I cook these chicken sausages too?

I have alot of experience with smoking Pork and Beef sausages and I smoke those to around 152-160 degree internal. I am just not sure about the chicken as it normally cooks to 170-180 deg. internal in the oven, but in my BDS I don't know.

Thanks for your time!
Andy.

NePaSmoKer

I did chicken sticks last year and took them to 152* They didnt last long and i'm still here  ;D

OU812

With the cure #1 in there you will be fine at an IT of 152 to 156 F.

Just cook them like any other sausage, low and slow.  ;D

Low and Slow

Hey thanks for the replies................the Chicken Sausage is just about ready to come out and take an quick bath in ice water!

:)

ghost9mm

Great and it would be nice to see some pictures...even if there blurry...lol. :D
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

NePaSmoKer

The chicken sticks are in front (light color)

Low and Slow

Beautiful!

That picture brings tears to my eyes! (and hunger pains in my stomach!)

Thats when you know you are hooked!

watchdog56

How did these come out? Also my daughter wants me to make some turkey sausage so I was thinking of maybe trying these except using turkey instead of chicken. Could you tell me what your recipe was? Thanks

Kevin A

Cook all poultry to a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees F as measured with a food thermometer.

too big a risk to not cook it to that temperature, and I'd rather not serve a product which can potentially make folks sick.

- Kevin

http://healthmad.com/nutrition/the-dangers-of-undercooked-chicken/

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: watchdog56 on December 26, 2011, 08:42:39 AM
How did these come out? Also my daughter wants me to make some turkey sausage so I was thinking of maybe trying these except using turkey instead of chicken. Could you tell me what your recipe was? Thanks

Well they didnt stay around long.

Just use ground chicken or turkey and make sticks like you normally would with cure #1. I cut in some fat with them, if i recall it was some chicken dark meat and some poke fat.

watchdog56

Do you think 2 1/2 lbs of lean ground turkey to 1 lb ground pork butt would be good?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Kevin A on December 26, 2011, 11:03:34 AM
Cook all poultry to a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees F as measured with a food thermometer.

too big a risk to not cook it to that temperature, and I'd rather not serve a product which can potentially make folks sick.

- Kevin

http://healthmad.com/nutrition/the-dangers-of-undercooked-chicken/

In this case, I guess it depends on your individual comfort level. For poultry sausages, but Rytek, and Ruhlmann recommend an internal temperature of 160?F. This is not for sausage, but when I am cooking turkey or chicken breast, I only bring the internal temperature to 152 - 155?F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)