large smoke ?

Started by aknapp, May 19, 2011, 01:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aknapp

I have a question on a larger than my normal smoke that I have coming up.  I will be doing a bunch of spare ribs like 40 -50 lbs and a packer brisket.  My thoughts are to smoke the ribs before hand and reheat and to do the brisket and serve after a while in the FTC.  My question is a. is this thought process sound? b. if sound what is the best way to reheat the ribs without drying them out?

Habanero Smoker

When I reheat ribs, I keep the slab intact using direct high heat over a grill. I usually start with the meat side down, then flip them half way through. You can add sauce or glaze at this point if you want.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ghost9mm

Yep!!! what Hab..said...I have also rewapped in foil with a squirt of apple juice to bring back moisture..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

KyNola

Wow, 50 pounds of ribs in a Bradley?  You will definitely have to precook those ribs and reheat in some manner and a packer brisket is going to take several hours.  How much time do you have to devote to this?  This will be a challenge for sure!

OU812

Lets see, average rack of ribs is 3 lb and your taking 50 lb, thats over 16 racks of ribs.

How big of smoker you got?

aknapp

Thanks for the replies.  This will definitely be a challenge.  The brisket will be smoked the night before/day of the dinner.  The ribs I may have to do the weekend before so I have enough time.  I was also thinking of smoking the ribs for their customary 3hrs or so and then transferring them to foil and finish in the oven while more smoke.  This way I can keep the smoke rolling to get through the mountain of meat.

watchdog56

You better give yourself  a lot of time for the ribs. I tried to do 12 racks of spare ribs one Christmas and it took well over 8 hours and had to finish on grill and in oven.