Canadian Thanksgiving

Started by whitetailfan, October 06, 2005, 07:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">As it is Thanksgiving, I am thankful I have a Bradley smoker and food to put in it for my family, and the ability to get that food both domestic and wild.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> That's what it's all about Stu. Let us know how your bird turns out.
T2

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Thunder Fish</i>
<br />"What do Canadians have to be 'Thankfull' for?" ......................................
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm that the Bradley is made in Canada..........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm [:D] [:D] [:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm...........not quite true, but Wade Bradley is a Canadian![;)]

Personally, I'd think you'd be thankful for, among other things, the wonderful natural beauty of the land that brings you moose & caribou. Not to mention the world's caviar of fish, the walleye. Why on earth would you eat turkey on your special day?

Happy holiday!

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Crazy Canuck

Happy Thanksgiving.

Smokin' me up some Canadian Goose Breasts Cured Szechwan style,
[}:)][}:)][}:)]
Thankful for very successful hunting season. Moose opening day, cow elk opening day (darn I wish hunting season lasted longer), doe deer second day only because elk and deer open on same day.  Hmm deep freeze full.[8D][8D][8D] Time to break out smoker and beer as hockey season is starting[:D][:D][:D]

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Thankful for very successful hunting season. Moose opening day, cow elk opening day (darn I wish hunting season lasted longer), doe deer second day only because elk and deer open on same day. Hmm deep freeze full. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Damn, CC you don't waste any time! That must be a BIG freezer! Have a good Thanksgiving!
T2

smokin stu

I somehow don't feel bad for your short hunting season CC.

I normally do well for deer, ducks and geese.  Having been bitten by the turkey hunting bug three years ago, I now take pride in going bird watching with my 870 every spring.  One day that tom will get a little too close, but until then, its just bird watching.

psdubl07

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Crazy Canuck</i>
<br />Happy Thanksgiving.

Smokin' me up some Canadian Goose Breasts Cured Szechwan style,
[}:)][}:)][}:)]

Yummers, how about a recipe?!

Crazy Canuck

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Yummers, how about a recipe?!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I cured the Geese Breasts using Mortons Tender Quick. Following the recipe on the package for injection I allowed breasts to cure for 24 hours.  I rinsed the breasts and zip-locked them in Szechwan Marinade for 12 hours.  I sliced open the breasts making a pocket in the center and stuffed this pocket full of Monteray Jack, Cheddar and Colby Cheese.  I used toothpicks to close up cheese pouch. I put a layer of bacon on the upper rack and a carefully placed foil on the bottom rack to catch as much of the drippings as possible.  I warmed smoker to 200 degrees F before putting trays in.  I used 6 pucks of special blend (4 would have been sufficient) and I think (maple or cherry next time).  I cooked till an internal temp of 165 degrees F. (a little excessive but I wanted well done).  Heat slider was set to 3/4 and vent was 1/2 open.  It took approximately 4 hours with ambient temp outside at 5 degrees celcius. There was enough drippings to facilitate a batch of baking powder biscuits to sop it up.[:p][:p][:p]

Addictede to Smokin'[:p][:p][:p]
DanR @ Fort St. John BC

psdubl07

OK thanks.  I was thinking you had used some kind of Szechwan cure and I was curious what it was.  Have you ever done them without curing?  It sounds like they would be good this way too.

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by smokin stu</i>
<br />I somehow don't feel bad for your short hunting season CC.

I normally do well for deer, ducks and geese.  Having been bitten by the turkey hunting bug three years ago, I now take pride in going bird watching with my 870 every spring.  One day that tom will get a little too close, but until then, its just bird watching.

When you get to try wild turkey you'll find it a lot more moist that domestic birds. I know people who just breast them out but I took the time and plucked mine. I was able to roast it and let me tell you its the best. I just wish I had a better place, closer to me to hunt turkeys. There are lots of places to hunt but there is a lot of private property and the good public land is a couple hours away.