Too Much Smoke - didn't know there was such a thing

Started by [email protected], May 22, 2011, 06:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[email protected]

Hey all,
I decided to try something new with my new smoker. (just received the Bradley digital)  We were going to have fillet Mignon for dinner.  With my new toy, I put them in the smoker at 200 for about 90 minutes.  Took them out, put them on a hot BBQ to sear and 5 minutes later we were eating.  Here is the dilemma, there was too strong of a smoke flavor.  Not for me, of course, but for my family.  So I thought maybe next time I should smoke less, try a different wood, open the vent more.  You get the idea.  So I put it out to you all to get your advice.  My old smoker was a propane one that had a chip box and worked fine but never did it produce the smoke like the Bradley.  Any suggestions would be great and as always, thank you for your help.

muebe

What kind of pucks did you use and how many did you use?
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Smokin Soon

Just my old habits I guess, but I would never smoke a fillet. It's just a cut of meat that stands on its own quite well with a little love and a hot grill.

DarqMan

You could cold smoke a filet and then throw it on a hot grill to finish it off. 

For your specific example, I would say use a mild puck like apple or pecan and use fewer of them if that's really a cut you choose to smoke.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

watchdog56

It might be the type of wood you are using,mesquite,oak and hickory are  a little stronger than apple,maple or alder.  also did you have your vent wide open or less than 1/2? I always leave mine wide open.

Habanero Smoker

The Bradley has a more concentrated smoke flavor, so you may want to cut the smoke time to 40 - 60 minutes for smaller cuts. Also with fillet Mignon if you had them cut into medallions, that will increase the surface area for smoke to contact the meat. I'm not sure what type of wood you used, but I like oak for beef.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

[email protected]

I used Alder I believe and I used them the entire time of 90 minutes.  I am use to always keeping chips in the smoke box but with the Bradley it smokes so much that maybe I need to do less time with the Smoke.  I always thought that you always kept the smoke on while smoking.  True or not true?
thanks!!!

wyoduke

Quote from: [email protected] on May 23, 2011, 07:06:35 AM
I used Alder .  I always thought that you always kept the smoke on while smoking.  True or not true?

The smoke from a bradley is way more intense then other smokers  IMHO i would cut back to 40 minutes of smoke and i use alder for fish i do use alot of maple and apple on everything else
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

Quarlow

For your steaks (filet) I would go with what the others said (40 mins). As has been said the smoke from the Bradley is very concentrated. I would lay on the smoke and then go right to the grille to finish. With other things like salmon or jerky or pulled pork and so on you will smoke for the alotted time and then use the Bradley to cook till done. But with your steaks you wouldn't use it to cook them threw. Also keep that vent open. 1/2 for most things and wide open for poultry,jerky.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

Some examples of times for smoke application I use; such as for butts and brisket I go no longer then 4 hours, some will go up to 6. Chicken I like to keep under 2 hours, and generally will apply 1:40 hours; the same with ribs, but some go as long as 3 hours on ribs.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ghost9mm

Quote from: Smokin Soon on May 22, 2011, 07:02:50 PM
Just my old habits I guess, but I would never smoke a fillet. It's just a cut of meat that stands on its own quite well with a little love and a hot grill.

X2
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill