Shawerma Trial run

Started by Tenpoint5, May 23, 2011, 06:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

As I mentioned our good friend Hady sent me some seasoning to make Shawerma. I shared it with the guy at work and he brought me in a sample last night while at work. That sealed the deal. I picked up the things I needed and I am having Shawermas tomorrow night for supper. I have been doing a little looking and found a recipe to give me a baseline from which to work with. The recipe calls for marinating the meat (I used a 2.5 pound Beef Sirloin Tip Roast) 8 hours or better yet 24 hours, mine will get the 24 hour treatment. After I cut all of the fat and silver skin off the roast I sliced it into 3/4 inch steaks, then sliced the steaks against the grain into very thin slices. Yes Curt and Larry, I sliced it all by hand with a knife!! ;D

Gathered all of the ingredients for the marinade.

Mixed everyone together in a zip bag and off to the fridge for a over night rest. Will massage everything again to make sure the marinade is getting to everything before I go to bed. Here we are heading off to the fridge.

I also tracked down a Tsatziki sauce recipe and mixed it all up and put it in the fridge for the flavors to all get happy together over night. Forgot to take a pic of that will add one with the updates. After 2 hours in the fridge I can tell this is going to be some really good stuff!

Hady if I am doing something wrong or out of place chime in and help me out!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Tenpoint5

I gave everything another massaging this morning and I am thinking since the kids is in school. I might just have some of this for lunch today!! You know just to make sure it is edible and that they will like it.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

Take one for the team, so to speak...   ;D

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on May 23, 2011, 06:20:42 PM

Hady if I am doing something wrong or out of place chime in and help me out!!

Chris you are on the right track for a family size dinner. I cant wait and it looks like its going to take some one like you trying it to make some one like me (who grew up on this stuff and never thought about making it) to try it for himself.

I cant wait for the results

Hady
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

OU812

Yes Curt and Larry, I sliced it all by hand with a knife!! ;D

How many times did you cut your self, still got all your fingers? :D

This is allready looking good, you gonna use them bread pocket things to serve it in?

Tenpoint5

Quote from: OU812 on May 24, 2011, 07:28:35 AM
Yes Curt and Larry, I sliced it all by hand with a knife!! ;D

How many times did you cut your self, still got all your fingers? :D

This is allready looking good, you gonna use them bread pocket things to serve it in?

All of my Bugger Pickers are still intact and cut free!!!

I have some pita bread that I will cut in half and make pockets out of. I am also going to try some flour tortillas and make a few like a burrito. After having a wonderful conversation with Hady this morning via skype. I am also going to marinate some chicken breasts and try that for dinner as well. Well Momma and the yardapes can eat the chicken, I am eating Beef!!

OU812

Come on now YOU know YOU want the chicken.  :D

What time is dinner, if I leave now I might make it in time for a cold one before its time to eat.

Tenpoint5

Shooting for 5:30-6 o'clock. I should have a couple cold ones in me by then!!

Tenpoint5

Scratch the Chicken. Momma cooked it up on Sunday night.

Tenpoint5

All I can say is the taste test was OMG Good!! I can't wait to try it on some pita bread tonight for supper!! I just used some small flour tortillas for my lunch time taste test.

OU812

muebe

Chris that looks great! Man I am hungry again now and I just ate :D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Hopefull Romantic

Chris I grew up with this sutff, but I have ever seen it look so good.

Vous etes un homme a lequil je leve le chapeau.

Darn I forgot this is an english speaking forum. Translation: YOU ARE A MAN TO WHOM I TAKE MY HAT OFF.

Hady

Tenpoint5

Dont take it off just yet Hady. I am still learning with this stuff. I do thank you for the compliment though.

I cooked up the rest of the meat tonight. (Just started cooking in this picture)

Used the half an apple I sliced up to hold my dinner up.

I thought it turned out Awesome. The family was a wee bit hesitant. The oldest and youngest boys liked it but was a little iffy on the Tsatziki sauce. The other two tasted the sauce and they wanted nothing to do with it, had to make them one with nothing but meat and cheese on it. Momma thought there was too much of a pepper taste in the meat.
I do still have to work on the Tsatziki sauce. Unless I can find a recipe and make some Tahini sauce for it.

Hady I am still working on the Fish Shawerma recipe.

Hopefull Romantic

Firstly it is important to remember that you have ventured where no man has been before; THE SHAWERMA ZONE. Its been said that the third time is a charm and this was only your first. Just think how good your next one will be.

You cant blame yourself for an uncharrted terretory you have paved the way my friend and to quote a line from a GREAT movie; IF YOU BUILD IT HE WILL COME.

HAdy