Got some ....

Started by itchybeard, May 24, 2011, 02:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itchybeard

Hi All.
I have for the first time obtained some Mesquite,Alder, Pecan & Special Blend bisquettes.  :)

So rather than take a guess what works well with what I thought who better to ask than the forum members.
I smoke a lot Trout & salmon so would be interested to find out what works well with these but am open to ideas on other meat and poultry.

I realise that taste is subjective but can't wait to hear your thoughts then give them a go.
Happy Smoking ><((((((o>~~~~~
Itchy

Just coming dear...:D

OU812

The only ones I use on your list is Alder and Pecan.

I use Alder mostly on Fish but some times on Poultry never tried Special Blend and Mesquite leaves kinda a bitter after taste.

Thats just my opinion.

I like Hickory on Pork, Oak on Beef, Pecan on about every thing but mainly sausage and Apple or Alder on Fish and Poultry

KyNola

Ditto on the alder for salmon and trout.  Perfect match.

Hopefull Romantic

I ditto Larry's ditto.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

muebe

Alder is great with fish. Maple is also very good even though you do not have any ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

itchybeard

Quote from: muebe on May 25, 2011, 09:41:19 AM
Alder is great with fish. Maple is also very good even though you do not have any ;)

Looks like Alder with fish is my next smoke then.
I use Maple with fish and I must say sooooooo nice. what would you recommend for a slightly stronger flavour to make my Trout/Salmon pat'e I have tried Oak and Apple with great success.
Itchy

KyNola

Quote from: itchybeard on May 25, 2011, 10:53:10 AM
I use Maple with fish and I must say sooooooo nice. what would you recommend for a slightly stronger flavour to make my Trout/Salmon pat'e I have tried Oak and Apple with great success.
I'll step up to the plate on this one.  If you have any hickory laying around, I would go straight to that.  I have hot smoked salmon with hickory before and we love it.  If you don't have any hickory I would go with the pecan bisquettes.

Be sure and show us that pate when you make it.  Sounds wonderful!   

OU812

Quote from: KyNola on May 25, 2011, 12:44:01 PM
Quote from: itchybeard on May 25, 2011, 10:53:10 AM
I'll step up to the plate on this one.  If you have any hickory laying around, I would go straight to that.  I have hot smoked salmon with hickory before and we love it.  If you don't have any hickory I would go with the pecan bisquettes.

Be sure and show us that pate when you make it.  Sounds wonderful!   

What KyNola said.  ;D

itchybeard

Quote from: KyNola on May 25, 2011, 12:44:01 PM

I'll step up to the plate on this one.  If you have any hickory laying around, I would go straight to that.  I have hot smoked salmon with hickory before and we love it.  If you don't have any hickory I would go with the pecan bisquettes.

Be sure and show us that pate when you make it.  Sounds wonderful!    

Hi KyNola,0U812
I have some hickory and pecan so will be giving one or the other a go next time and will post a pic of the finished pat'e.
Smoked trout pat'e is fantastic on lightly buttered toast or crusty bread. It's very very moorish..The only thing is it never lasts long though it is easy to make.
Itchy

itchybeard

Have finished the Pat'e . Here are the pics as promissed...

Looks good enough to eat lol...

Vacuum packed ready for the freezer.

Some low fat pate for the missus.

Itchy

itchybeard

Smoked some trout using Alder. I must say you are all right fantastic delicate flavour. Here is the result, I'm really pleased.
You have all come up trumps again. Cheers.

Itchy

OU812

That ALL looks grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

wyoduke

Quote from: OU812 on May 30, 2011, 09:20:49 AM
That ALL looks grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!
;DX2
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

ghost9mm

WOW!! that's killer for sure...love smoked trout...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill