Jim Beam Gun Powder Tri Tip

Started by zueth, May 26, 2011, 12:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

Decided to pull a Tri Tip that I had got at Costco out of the freezer for a smoke.  I rub with olive oil and Worcestershire and the seasoned with Gun Powder seasoning.  Then vacuum pack to rest in the refrigerator over night.

The next night I preheated the smoker @ 220 and let the Tri Tip rest for a hour on the counter top.  Then into the smoker she went for 2 hours of Jim Beam smoke and cooked until a IT of 140.

I also wanted to do some asparagus so added that for the last hour.  The TriTip took 2 hours to reach 140, removed it and wrapped in foil than put in microwave to rest for about 30 minutes.  Here is the final product.

and here are the asparagus.

Baked a yam to go with dinner as well, here is the plate of goodness.

Turned out very good, I think next time I will go to a IT of 135.

ghost9mm

Now that is some really good lookin tri-tip....and my wife would be putting some cinnamon and butter on that sweet tater... :D
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

wyoduke

1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

muebe

Tri-Tip looks good!

Don't give up on the 140F IT. From the pictures it looks more like 150F to 155F IT...are you sure your meat thermometer is accurate and was placed properly? Or maybe the gunpowder penetration was deep enough to create the dark interior of the meat ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

zueth

I think it looks like that way because I put in oven to warm up before slicing.  Next time I think I will just by pass FTC and let sit for 10-15 minutes with tin foil cover then slice.

muebe

Quote from: zueth on May 26, 2011, 04:23:39 PM
I think it looks like that way because I put in oven to warm up before slicing.  Next time I think I will just by pass FTC and let sit for 10-15 minutes with tin foil cover then slice.

Well that makes sense ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

TMB

That looks killer!!     Now take the green stuff off the plate and you get a 10!!!!!!    :D
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

GBIceman

I like the green stuff. How did you do it. Maybe evo? How long/what temp?
Ice fishing rocks

If you are going to be stupid, you better be tough.

La Quinta

I'm just gonna say it out loud...I cannot cook tri tip...everybody I know is an expert...but when they make it for us...it's tough...is that the way it "just is"...? Even if it's juicy...it seems tough...cut against the grain and all...am I just a loon?

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: La Quinta on May 27, 2011, 12:43:11 AM
I'm just gonna say it out loud...I cannot cook tri tip...everybody I know is an expert...but when they make it for us...it's tough...is that the way it "just is"...? Even if it's juicy...it seems tough...cut against the grain and all...am I just a loon?

LQ I don't think you are a loon. I recently got a tip from my butcher (whom I might add that I am driving crazy with all sorts of strange questions) that one way to break down the beef and lamb is to marinade them in a mixture of yogurt, garlic and some mint leaves and after 12 - 24 hours just wash them with tap water. I have tried this on a stuffed leg of lamb about a couple of months ago (Sorry guys it was not smoked) and I can tell you you can give your teeth time off when you eat it.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

La Quinta

HR...Lamb for us... is easy...but tri-tip...I don't get it...it's just a tough cut and I'd be lying if I knew how to cook it...I just don't buy it...I admire those who can make it...I don't think there is anything worse than a tough cut of beef...and...thus...I don't make tri-tip... ???

zueth

Just marinated at room temp in olive oil, lawrys, and pepper for about 10 minutes, then cook at 220 with smoke for about 50-60 minutes.