Long Weekend Rib Smoke

Started by Meat tooth, May 23, 2011, 09:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meat tooth

Well, like a few of you, I decided to do some baby backs this weekend! Did 'em a little different than the usual 3-2-1 method. Unfortunatley, my camera has devopled legs and can't be located. I started out with two hours of hickory, then foiled 'em folr about 2.5. Then Iturned off the Bradley and let 'em sit in ther foil for a couple of hours, (watching not to go into the danger zone).  This was on Saturday night. So I put 'em in the fridge till Sunday around 4:30pm. Fired up the grill, and warmed them up. In the meantime, I made a sauce for them. It is a modified version of the Mennonite Tail sauce from a couple of weeks ago.:

4 1/8 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
4 1/8 teaspoons paprika
4 1/8 teaspoons dry mustard
4 4 1/8 tablespoons molasses
4 1/8 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 1/16 cups ketchup or 2 1/16 cups chili sauce -I used 3 small cans of tomato paste with garlic and 1/2 cup of ketchup
2 1/16 cups water
1 cup cider vinegar
1 7/8 cups very finely minced onion
5 1/2 cloves garlic, minced  -Omitted the garlic here because it was already in the tom. paste
1/4 cup of dried chili peppers  -not included in the original recipe

There was enough sauce so I could dip the ribs in and coat them all over. I then used the rear burner on my grill to carmalize everything (BTW the grill is an older model Napolean with a burner tube for the rear, not infrared.)

Served with baked taters, coleslaw, and peas> -(the kids wanted peas?!) Was very good, fall of the bone, moist, and several layers of flavour in the meat, smoke, sweet, then a bit o' heat from the chilis. Not many leftovers, I better go in and get 'em before they're gone!
Chew carefully and don't let your meat loaf.

OU812

hal4uk

Hey, MeatTooth...

Am I reading that right?  You had those ribs in foil for a total of 4.5 hours?
I imagine they JUMPED off the bone (??)

Seriously, that sounds like a LONG TIME in foil..  The steam can really ruin them after that much time...
Not trying to criticize at all...  If you like em, that's all that matters, but if I did that, they'd be rib soup (?)

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Meat tooth

They were in there with the heat for 2 hrs. then heat off to "FTC" for the rest of the time, I didn't have a cooler to put them in... thats why I closely monitored the temp so I would know when to fridge them. No they were not "rib soup" they stayed nice and moist but not mushy, the bones came out with little effort.  The ride on the grill took out some residual grease and firmed them up a bit as well as carmalized the sauce. I planned on only finishing them the next day, so they had to be cooked through before I put them away.
Chew carefully and don't let your meat loaf.

beefmann

sounds  like a good  over  here