pork loin help needed

Started by khicks, May 26, 2011, 09:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khicks

so after reading on the forum i decided to pick up a whole pork loin, cut it in half and rubbed it with Jan's rub. it weighs about 5-6 lbs and is in the fridge waiting for the DBS tomorrow. this is a definite first for me as i only smoke sausage.

how long should i smoke?
what temp should i cook at?
sounds like i should go until an IT of around 185
does anyone know roughly how long it will take to cook?
once cooked will it pull like a butt?
if FTC is a good idea, is around 3hrs good enough?
i have the dual PID, should i use all 6 settings for temps?

thanks to anyone who can help   

Habanero Smoker

Hi khicks

Welcome to the forum. Loin is a lean cut and you should not cook them like a butt. Just to note; the loin is where pork chops are cut from.

how long should i smoke?
For loins I generally apply 1:40 - 2:00 hours of smoke, and I use pecan.

what temp should i cook at?
I generally use a cabinet temperature of 225°F

sounds like i should go until an IT of around 185
The new USDA internal temperature for lean pork is now 145°F followed by a 3 minute rest for medium rare. I generally take my pork up to 142°F then rest. USDA also recommendation for well done is 160°F.

does anyone know roughly how long it will take to cook?
Depending on how long it takes for your cabinet to recover, and the internal temperature you are taking the pork to, you are looking at 2.5 - 5 hours. It is best to start it late, and if it is not done on time, you can move it to a 375°F preheated oven to finish.

once cooked will it pull like a butt?
It will not be like a butt, even if you take it to 185°F. You could pull it, but it will be dry and will need some type of sauce to make feel moist. It is better to take it to a lower temperature and slice it. See the below link for pulling loins.
Pulled Pork Loin

if FTC is a good idea, is around 3hrs good enough?
I never FTC lean cuts of meat or poultry. You run the risk of bringing the internal temperature of the meat too high.

i have the dual PID, should i use all 6 settings for temps?
I can't provide feedback on this one. I don't have a PID.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jimmyb

Habs has got you covered here for sure. As far as the PID, you really only need to use one setting for this unless you are using it to control the duration of the smoke as well. I usually load up enough bisquettes for the duration of smoke that I want and keep use the first setting when I want the same temp throughout the entire cook. I usually just set the duration of the first setting for much longer then I would ever want and check the IT myself. I want to control when I turn it off but that's just me.

khicks

thanks Habanero and Jimmyb

this forum ROCKS!!!!!!

with a way shorter cook time than i expected, i will wait until Saturday to put it in the DBS. for today i have a 4lb moose roast going on the rotisserie.