question on a boston butt

Started by zkup, May 26, 2011, 10:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zkup

Anyone smoke a butt in the bradley for 4 hours and then move it to a conventional oven to finish the cooking? I've got quite a bit to smoke and would love to speed things up a bit by not having so much in the smoker at once.  What should I be concerned about with this approach?

Thanks

squirtthecat

Some folks do it all the time.  Nothing to worry about, except you might want to put it on a roasting rack in a pan so it doesn't cook in it's own fat.

OU812

What Squirt said and put a few beers in the pan.

Just dont let the pan go dry and youll have some of THE BEST drippings to put back in the meat after its pulled and them drippings make for some GREAT gravy too.

What I like to do with them drippings is pour in a glass bowl, place in the fridge to let the fat come to the top and become solid, the floaters will go to the bottom and all the good stuff in the middle is awesome.

Discard the fat and spoon out the very tasty drippings and use it as a base for gravy or add back to the meat after its pulled.

Good stuff.

TestRocket

Looks like some good help to me!   ;D

FLBentRider

Quote from: squirtthecat on May 27, 2011, 04:25:17 AM
Some folks do it all the time.  Nothing to worry about, except you might want to put it on a roasting rack in a pan so it doesn't cook in it's own fat.

x2
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bozer

What about in the bradley for smoke for 4 hours, then into a Crock Pot? Would that be possible and if so how long in crock pot I guess and on high or low?

zkup

many thanks for the advice guys.  butt turned great.