Norbert's Jazzed Upped Smoker

Started by Oldman, October 09, 2005, 11:46:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Norbert sent these photos to me. I don't know what his handle is here so I will just call him by his name---Norbert!  ;)

The only thing he needs now is a fan in the box and she will just purrrrrr....  ;D
Click on Images to Enlarge

Note to Norbert: Notice how I cut out the images you sent to me that were around the smoker. i.e. air compressor etc.. I did this so we can make the most of the real estate.

Olds

Edit: I edited this posting 06.21.06 to correct the tags.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

nsxbill

So, Norbert, it looks like you have replaced the slider with the PID controller.  Good idea.  What is the story on the Oven coil.  I was going to do a salamander sealed infrared element in mine.  

http://infraredheaters.com/ceramic.htm#Type%20HTE.

DTom used these and worked pretty well

How much was the oven heating coil, source...part numbers??

Thanks for posting up the pictures, Raye!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Norbert

The oven coil was free.  I got it from an old Back & Decker bread maker. It was the right size for the job. I didn't want to go over 250F.  Plus if you use a big element when the controller shuts off the element will keep on producing heat and overshoot the temp limit.  The smaller the element the faster it will come down in temperature.  

I will be installing a fan after the turkey that I 'm cooking for thanks giving tomorrow.  To preserve the motor from overheating and the smoke, I will install it on the outside and the prop on the inside.  I will simply drill a hole the size of the shaft in the BS.  I will post some photo soon!  

Norbert

jaeger

Nice job Norbert!!!

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

Norbert

I installed the temp controller and it works great.  For example I set it for 225 and cooked 3 chickens in less than 4 hrs.  The taste was remarkable with 6 maple puck.  The max temp that I can set it is 300F, witch I can reach in 10 min.  When the temp controller cut off at 225F the temps inside the BS keeps going up for 10 deg F and come back down to 225F.  The process takes 7 min depending on the vent opening and exterior temperature.  I found this to be acceptable and very economical.  

I also replaced the power cord witch should be done on every BS.  It came with 18/3, witch is way too small.  I'm using 14/3 because of the added element, but for all other ones it should be at least 16/3.  The larger the first number the smaller the wire.  16/3 is rated at 10amps and 14/3 at 15amps.

The controller that I used is on this page:

http://www.love-controls.com/controls/controls/controls_frame.html

I used the TS Series Digital Temperature Switch because of the price and it come with the sensor probe.   It's very easy to install with basic elec knowledge.  

Norbert

car54

Norbert,

It looks great but I have 2 questions.

How many watts is your element?

Are you using 2 PID's?

Thanks, Brad

TomG

Very cool Norbert.  Is this fan and motor a canidate for intra BS circulating.  You would have to mount the motor on the outside and provide some kind of shaft bearing to the fan blades inside, but it looks doable.  http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?ItemKey=7C722

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

TomG

Oops! Olds, Sorry for the redundancy, my monitor is 10 years older than my BS and I missed the link in your posting.

Regards-Tom-

Phone Guy

What was the cost to get this PID working on your BS? How long did it take? Did you have to cut the Smoker to fit the controller in?

TomG

nsxbill

It looks like the PID replaced the sliding switch, and it now controls the temp..  The beauty of the PID is that it learns the capability of the "heater" and holds the temp within a couple of degrees of whatever you set.  

I am speaking from some experience, as I have one I bought for one of my espresso machines to control the boiler.  They are great, accurate, digital and very efficient.  I bought mine on Ebay. Mine converts AC 250V to control DC Thermocouple with a SSR that is DC.  They configure them differently, and I assume the the one used on this smoker is AC in and AC out to just make an infinitely controllable switch to replace the slider.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

TomG

Hi Bill, I sort of know how a PID functions but I wasn't at all sure after reading the specs. on the 40 Series Digital Temperature Switch(I think that is what Norbert installed) is a PID and not a switched temperature controller. The link is http://www.love-controls.com/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?source=ts&direction=back.  If you have time check it out and let me know what you think.

-Tom-

Norbert

Hi

I used the TS Series Digital Temperature Switch.  It's AC and it is rated for 15 amps.  Because of its size and simplicity it was very easy to replace the slider with it.  You have to cut the slider hole bigger to fit it.  It also came with a plastic stopper to lock it in place.  In the back of the switch you have 2 screws for the power that feed the controller, 2 for the probe and 2 for the element; witch is connected like a switch.  It work great but the extra element is required.  I used a 750 watts witch is very good but I recommend anything from 500 to 1000 watts and it as to fit the only evadable space where it install mine.  

I can say now that this is a fantastic smoker.  No more guessing.  The right amount of smoke and the right temperature what else do you need to cook and smoke.  I changed my mind on the fan.  I will not install one, it's not required with the added element the heat is well distributed in the smoker.  I don't even have to rotate the racks for even cooking.  

Sory about the delay.

Norbert