bisquettes not used up

Started by ebohatch, April 22, 2004, 11:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebohatch

I just attempted to season my new smoker. It went trhgough 5 bisquettes. But I noticed that there is at leaset one in the water bowl that seems to be only about 30% used (or rather 70% is intact). I thought I saw a thread about a few months ago, what do I need to do to insure that the entire bisquette is used up??

Fuzzybear

What you need to do is give Kirk a call or visit his website - www.chezbubba.com and purchase a pair of bubba pucks!  Once the last puck exits the feeder, there are no more behind it to push it on the burner hence the development of the bubba puck - they are aluminum and take the place of two pucks to allow your last bisket to hit the burner plate.

Keep on smokin and good luck to you!!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

ebohatch

Thanks Fuzzy, but the one in the bowl was one of the first one, not the last they were still in the advancing trays.

Fuzzybear

Oops...sorry....apparently, I was not thorough in reading your post.

The system is designed so that you don't have a pile of ash in the bowl but about 70% of it used so it kind of looks like a piece of wood that never burned all the way - it smolders for twenty minutes, then gets advanced/pushed into the water bowl to allow for the next bisket. (they never burn completely)

Another reason that you need to look at the bowl if you are using a lot of pucks...the bowl will get filled up after about 6-8 hours of smoking.

Glendora, CA - USA!

Oldman

This may not be the case, but I noticed that if I don't pre-heat the generator my first puck is not really used up.  So I pre-heat for 20 or so minutes before I hit the advance button.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Fuzzybear

Yeah, that's a good answer Olds - I forgot - I usually preheat my plate first too, then advance the pucks...good job![:D]

Glendora, CA - USA!

ChefJeff

Fuzzy,you got it right,you have to pre-heat the plate or by the time the biskit is smoking it is advancing.[8D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

whitetailfan

I completely agree with rest of the boys on this one.[;)]

At first I was tossing in my meat and pucks all at the same time and starting without pre-heating - it took forever to get to temp and the first puck was wasted[:(]

After talking to the forum members I now always pre-heat the cabinet (except for cold smokin' of course) as well as the burner!

Since I turn on the cabinet element as well as the burner for at least half an hour to pre-heat this is not as relevant for hot smoking, BUT, one trick that I use specifically for cold smoking is to load up the tube and advance the biscuits Twice Only!  That leaves a one puck gap at the end, and in 20 minutes you will auto-advance the first puck into position and by this time, the element should have heated up.[:D]

whitetailfan
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.