aubern dual probe PID

Started by max1961, May 31, 2011, 09:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

max1961

i did my first smoke with the pid.  Set the temp for 260.  when it got to 248,249, started cycling. It never got over 250.  Does anyone know if running auto tune will help, or is there a simple way to calibrate the sensor? 

muebe

The dual probe comes pre-set to work with a OBS. An auto-tune might help if you have a 6-rack due to the larger size cabinet. Just right down your settings before running the auto-tune in case things get really messed up you can set them back. And use a couple foiled bricks in the cabinet to help simulate a load of meat. Have the water bowl in also. Try to make it a close as possible to an actual cook. Vent wide open. It could take up to an hour or more to run the auto-tune ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

freakaccident

Quote from: muebe on May 31, 2011, 09:14:06 AM
The dual probe comes pre-set to work with a OBS. An auto-tune might help if you have a 6-rack due to the larger size cabinet. Just right down your settings before running the auto-tune in case things get really messed up you can set them back. And use a couple foiled bricks in the cabinet to help simulate a load of meat. Have the water bowl in also. Try to make it a close as possible to an actual cook. Vent wide open. It could take up to an hour or more to run the auto-tune ;D

Any idea where I could buy a couple of bricks?  The hardware store doesn't have them.

muebe

Quote from: freakaccident on June 25, 2011, 09:00:19 PM

Home improvement stores....Lowe's, Home Depot, OSH...

Any idea where I could buy a couple of bricks?  The hardware store doesn't have them.
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

freakaccident

Quote from: muebe on June 25, 2011, 09:16:47 PM
Quote from: freakaccident on June 25, 2011, 09:00:19 PM

Home improvement stores....Lowe's, Home Depot, OSH...

I tried lowes and they laughed at me when I told them I wanted two bricks.  Ill try home depot.

Thanks,
Aaron

muebe

That is strange...They all carry bricks that can be purchased individually. They are usually only like 30 cents a piece.

freakaccident

I'll try home depot and see if they are nicer about it.  Would be awesome to have the bricks to help with the heat after opening the door.