Salmon skin doggy treats....

Started by Smokeville, June 01, 2011, 05:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

When making Indian Candy, I've always got a lot of salmon skin left over, and we have used some of it for garden fertilizer.... but I just bought some new dog treats that have salmon and barley in them so I had an idea. (We don't have a dog -- we want to give the pooches a treat when their owners sample some of our stuff at the Farmers' market).

Has anyone tried making dog treats? So far, I've learned that raw salmon can poison dogs (but not cats) due to certain parasites. I was thinking of rolling up the salmon skins, securing them with a toothpick, and then cooking/drying them overnight in the OBS.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Rich

squirtthecat

What if you put them in a mild Cure #1 solution overnight, then into the smoker?    Salmon Skin Bacon?

Smokeville

Quote from: squirtthecat on June 01, 2011, 05:57:15 AM

What if you put them in a mild Cure #1 solution overnight, then into the smoker?    Salmon Skin Bacon?

That sounds like something we would all like!

We have been selling "Salmon bacon." Kummok gave me the idea -- that's what they call Salmon Belly out where he lives. It's the belly with extra brine time and smoke time. It sells very well, and it's cheap to buy as well -- our local supermarket cuts the bellys off of their high-end salmon and adds it to their fish stew. Or I should say "used to" add it to their stew. I'm buying almost 5-8 lbs per week.