Pork Butt in the Oven due to Heating Element Failure

Started by WarriorMedic, June 04, 2011, 06:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WarriorMedic

Hello All,

I'm looking for advice on how to finish a pork butt in the oven.  My brand new digital smoker's heating element died this morning.  I'm smoking the butt for four hours, and then transferring it to the regular oven at 225.

I'm thinking about a putting pan with some water in the bottom rack of the oven to maintain some humidity and catch the drippings, and leaving the meat just on a rack as I don't think I want the meat itself in a pan.  Anyone have any thoughts? 
You won't drop dead, trust me.  You will pass out first.

squirtthecat

Yes, that will work exactly as you are planning..   Some people cook them that way all the time - smoke for 4-6 hours and transfer to house oven for the overnight ride.

WarriorMedic

Thanks!  Good to know I am on track.

As a side note:  I already received an e-mail from Brian at Bradley this morning.  It appears their customer service is actually as good as I have read.  Although I will have to wait till Monday to start the process of getting the heating element replaced, it is nice to know someone is actually taking the time to monitor and reply to e-mail on the weekend.  After all, thats when us recreational smokers are typically going to find issues.

ghost9mm

WarriorMedic First... Welcome glad to hear Bradley has got you covered, I just lost my first element this morning, was up at 6 this morning and put a 8 # pork butt in and went out about an hour ago and seen a temp drop..opened the door of the bradley and yep the element was gone, now I have a couple of backup elements that I bought several months ago and it took about 20 minutes to change it out and we are up and smokin...good luck
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

OU812

Quote from: WarriorMedic on June 04, 2011, 06:20:36 AM

I'm thinking about a putting pan with some water in the bottom rack of the oven to maintain some humidity and catch the drippings 

Save them drippings, they are great for many things.

After the cook place the drippings in a glass bowl and allow to cool a bit then wile the butt is doing the FTC thing put the drippings in the fridge to allow the fat to become hard.

discard the fat and what you have left is some really good base to put back in the pulled pork, add just enough to make moist.

The rest makes for some killer gravy or stock.

WarriorMedic

The butt has been smoked and transferred to the oven - the house smells indescribably good!

@OU812 - thanks for the advice!  I will definitely give that a try.

OU812

Quote from: WarriorMedic on June 04, 2011, 08:48:42 AM
The butt has been smoked and transferred to the oven - the house smells indescribably good!

@OU812 - thanks for the advice!  I will definitely give that a try.

Just dont let that pan of drippings go dry on ya.  ;)

When your done with the cook you want about 1/2" of liquid in the pan.

Cant wait to see your butt.  :D