Smoked duck

Started by FishMan, June 04, 2011, 06:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishMan

This turned out really well.

I started with a whole duck, 4 or 5 lbs. After removing the neck and giblets from the cavity, I used a thin paring knife to poke small slits in the skin over the fatty areas. I was careful to pierce the skin and fat but not cut into the meat. The cuts were about 1" apart. With the breast side up, I slowly poured 2 quarts of boiling water over the duck. After patting it dry, I liberally sprinkled 5-spice powder over the entire bird. Smoke-cooked over hickory for 5 hours at 260 degrees.

Next time I might finish the duck in a very hot over to crisp the skin.

La Quinta

I do rotisserie duck on the grill (with a pan under it) that way...how the heck did you catch the fat off of that duck in the smoker? I'd be nervous it would spew off so much fat it would light the smoker a flame?

3rensho

Ahh, duck and five spice.  Delicious.  I'm curious about the fat too.  Any domestic duck I have cooked renders a lot of fat.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

I've smoked a few whole domestic ducks in the Bradley and only used the drip pan that came with the smoker. During the cooking time, you may have to change the bowl once; if that. The duck doesn't take long, depending on my taste for that day I will take the duck to an internal temperature of 140°F; or on other days I will take it to 160°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FishMan

There was perhaps a cup of fat in the drip bowl at the end of cooking, and the boiling water treatment had taken some out.

TestRocket

Fishman, I'm crying fowl because of no PICS!
Try this link to get your pictures going   ;D     

tsquared

QuoteFishman, I'm crying fowl because of no PICS!
I agree--Ithink he's ducking the question! :D
T2