Brand new to smokers have a question

Started by krazzzyb, June 06, 2011, 09:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krazzzyb

Hello, I just bought the bradley original, and also after reading in the forums I also bought the Auber bradley smoke controller.  I have not received any of it yet, but I am wondering if the controller plugs into the wall, then the smoke box plugs into it, or if the controller goes between smoke box and smoker, also if it plugs right into the wall, does it effect the timing of the wood bisquettes, do you have to account for that?  Thanks in advance, i'm a little nervous about all of this.

cathouse willy

The Auber controls the cabinet heater,not the smoke generator, so it sits between the output of the smoke gen and the input of the cabinet.The timing of the smoke gen is factory set at 20 ish minutes.It comes with a good manual and user guide on a disc. Happy smoking!

muebe

The Auber dual probe can control both the smoke generator and the cabinet heating element on the OBS and just the heating element on the DBS.

On the OBS the way it connects is this....

1.Auberins plugs into the wall.
2.Heating element plugs into the Auberins
3.Smoke generator plugs into the Auberins

You do not have to plug the smoke generator into the Auberins and I suggest you do not. The smoke generator will only be powered during two program steps if you do this. IMHO I do not think the smoke controller option is needed. You almost always start the cook with smoke and can control the smoking time by the amount of pucks you use. And the heat from the puck burner helps keep the cabinet hotter.

So I suggest you...

1.Smoke generator plugs into wall
2.Auberins plugs into smoke generator
3.Heating element plugs into Auberins

I am using the smoke generator control feature of the Auberins to control my convection fan mod ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Habanero Smoker

Hi krazzzyb;

Welcome to the forum.

Here is an article and pictures to show how to hook up the Auber.
Auber Plug & Plays

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

krazzzyb

freakaccident

I personally love having the smoke generator plugged into the Auber.  Set it and forget it until IT.  I don't have problems with keeping temps up in the Summer though so I don't need the lil extra heat from the smoke generator.  A tiny bit of electricity savings and less wear on the smoke generator.  This winter I may add an extra element so I can smoke but even in that instance I will still use the Auber to control the smoke generator and when the pucks run out it will keep on chugging if I set the Auber to run the generator for the entire smoke.  The only issue would be if I wanted smoke rolling for more than two cycles which I don't think will happen for my use. 

If I were you I would try it out both ways and see what you like.  Most of my smokes are:

1. Heat cycle 1 for 1 hour to preheat.  Usually 250*
2. Heat cycle 2 for how many hours I want to roll smoke at whatever temp I want to cook at.  I.E. 225*
3. Heat cycle 3 until IT hits the target - No smoke.

There is no wrong way but that's how I do it.

GusRobin

Quote from: freakaccident on June 25, 2011, 08:53:13 PM
I personally love having the smoke generator plugged into the Auber.  Set it and forget it until IT.  I don't have problems with keeping temps up in the Summer though so I don't need the lil extra heat from the smoke generator.  A tiny bit of electricity savings and less wear on the smoke generator.  This winter I may add an extra element so I can smoke but even in that instance I will still use the Auber to control the smoke generator and when the pucks run out it will keep on chugging if I set the Auber to run the generator for the entire smoke.  The only issue would be if I wanted smoke rolling for more than two cycles which I don't think will happen for my use. 

If I were you I would try it out both ways and see what you like.  Most of my smokes are:

1. Heat cycle 1 for 1 hour to preheat.  Usually 250*
2. Heat cycle 2 for how many hours I want to roll smoke at whatever temp I want to cook at.  I.E. 225*
3. Heat cycle 3 until IT hits the target - No smoke.

There is no wrong way but that's how I do it.

In this example if yo want to keep the smoke generator on for more heat, you just combine cycle 2 and 3. When the pucks are done, the generator stays on.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.