4th of July Party Smoke-out

Started by Rckcrwlr, June 08, 2011, 10:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rckcrwlr

OK guys, I need some brainstorming.

I am having about 40 people over for the holiday.  This usually results in some competition, drinking and eating, not necessarily in that order.

I want to smoke something and need some help on how to pull this off.

My thinking is smoked butts, sausage and a tray of beans.

Lemme' here what you got...

squirtthecat

Keri's Hog Apple Beans.  Do a quick google and you'll find it..

It's out of this world good.

Smoked bacon, beans, apple pie filling (yes), and Blues Hog BBQ sauce.   Bake - or better yet - put in the smoker.

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: squirtthecat on June 08, 2011, 10:44:03 AM

Keri's Hog Apple Beans.  Do a quick google and you'll find it..

It's out of this world good.

Smoked bacon, beans, apple pie filling (yes), and Blues Hog BBQ sauce.   Bake - or better yet - put in the smoker.

Thanks STC...I am all over that one...

Google......GOT IT!

KyNola

40 people huh?  10 lbs of cooked meat will provide 40 1/4 lb servings of pork per person.  That is about what the average eater will consume especially if you have other stuff too like that sausage you're talking about.  If you have serious eaters consider 1/3 lb per person.  20 pounds of raw weight butts will yield about 10 lbs of cooked meat.  If it were me I would plan on at least 30 pounds of raw weight butts.  That way you might wind up with some leftovers for you.

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: KyNola on June 08, 2011, 11:04:01 AM
40 people huh?  10 lbs of cooked meat will provide 40 1/4 lb servings of pork per person.  That is about what the average eater will consume especially if you have other stuff too like that sausage you're talking about.  If you have serious eaters consider 1/3 lb per person.  20 pounds of raw weight butts will yield about 10 lbs of cooked meat.  If it were me I would plan on at least 30 pounds of raw weight butts.  That way you might wind up with some leftovers for you.

I've got a mixture of eater levels so I will estimate at the 1/4lb mark. 

Now comes the big question...Should I do it in stages or do all 30lbs at once?

squirtthecat

I'd do it in 2 smokes.   One in advance, and one (at least) the day before..

Ka Honu

I may not be the best cook on the forum but I can party with the best of them so here's my advice:

- Above all remember it's about the party, which means not having much to do that day except enjoying your guests.
     - Slaw, Bubba, ya' gotta have slaw!   
     - I'd make it easy on myself by doing the butts well ahead of time and reheating on the 4th.
     - I'd probably do the beans the day before to allow the flavors to meld and cut down on what I have to do on party day.
     - Make the slaw dressing the night before, mix it that morning, reheat beans and pork, throw some sausage on the grill and spend most of your time hangin' with your buds.
     - Paper plates and plastic flatware are the way to go. 
     - Less gameday prep and cleanup means more drinking time.

And KyNola is too conservative.  Alcohol, males, and a holiday are all involved - start with 40 pounds of raw pork and you'll have a few pounds of extra in your freezer for your own use.

KyNola

Quote from: Ka Honu on June 08, 2011, 11:16:06 AM
And KyNola is too conservative.  Alcohol, males, and a holiday are all involved - start with 40 pounds of raw pork and you'll have a few pounds of extra in your freezer for your own use.

I actually had 40 lbs written and went back and changed it! :D

Go with Ka Honu's advice.  He is an expert in all things "party". 8)

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: squirtthecat on June 08, 2011, 11:14:51 AM

I'd do it in 2 smokes.   One in advance, and one (at least) the day before..

I wanted to have one smoke going when the people came.  You know, the smell and all.  Maybe I will do the butts ahead of time and then do the sausages when they arrive.

People are not showing up until 3ish so I have time to prep...

Quote from: Ka Honu on June 08, 2011, 11:16:06 AM
I may not be the best cook on the forum but I can party with the best of them so here's my advice:

- Above all remember it's about the party, which means not having much to do that day except enjoying your guests.
     - Slaw, Bubba, ya' gotta have slaw!   
     - I'd make it easy on myself by doing the butts well ahead of time and reheating on the 4th.
     - I'd probably do the beans the day before to allow the flavors to meld and cut down on what I have to do on party day.
     - Make the slaw dressing the night before, mix it that morning, reheat beans and pork, throw some sausage on the grill and spend most of your time hangin' with your buds.
     - Paper plates and plastic flatware are the way to go. 
     - Less gameday prep and cleanup means more drinking time.

Slaw is already lined up.  Both a creamy and a vinegar.  Beans will be done with butts, I want the goodness from the butts to collect in the pan. 

Thanks for the suggestions.  Ka Huno, you need to be a Wedding...I mean BBQ Planner. 

Quote from: KyNola on June 08, 2011, 11:25:41 AM
I actually had 40 lbs written and went back and changed it! :D

Go with Ka Honu's advice.  He is an expert in all things "party". 8)

Sounds good...

squirtthecat

You could have some ABTs or MOINKs going that afternoon when everyone shows up for the 'fresh out of the smoker' experience..

They only take a couple hours.

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: squirtthecat on June 08, 2011, 11:42:17 AM

You could have some ABTs or MOINKs going that afternoon when everyone shows up for the 'fresh out of the smoker' experience..

I was thinking that too...  I need ABTs, it's been too long.

Last time I had a MOINK, it was in high school...and a shot cleared it up.

What the %^$& is MOINK?

Tenpoint5

Moink = Moo + Oink  A precooked meat ball wrapped with bacon and smoked. then a shot of BBQ sauce on top to glaze and finish it. You can also hit them with a little rub prior to smoking
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

Quote from: Rckcrwlr on June 08, 2011, 11:45:33 AM

I was thinking that too...  I need ABTs, it's been too long.

What the %^$& is MOINK?

:D

Moo-Oink ball.   Bacon wrapped meatball.

Just get some frozen meatballs, thaw for a couple hours, wrap each with 1/2 slice of thin bacon and secure with a toothpick.   Smoke for 90-ish minutes, then apply a BBQ sauce glaze and put back in the smoker until the sauce sets.   Maybe toss on the grill to crisp the bacon when your guests arrive.

Good stuff, and an easy crowd pleaser..  

[edit]

What Chris said!

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on June 08, 2011, 11:49:21 AM
Moink = Moo + Oink  A precooked meat ball wrapped with bacon and smoked. then a shot of BBQ sauce on top to glaze and finish it. You can also hit them with a little rub prior to smoking

So Professional...I would have been good with "wrap bacon around a meatball"  Ha Ha Ha...Thanks 10.5

Quote from: squirtthecat on June 08, 2011, 11:49:57 AM
Quote from: Rckcrwlr on June 08, 2011, 11:45:33 AM

I was thinking that too...  I need ABTs, it's been too long.

What the %^$& is MOINK?

:D

Moo-Oink ball.   Bacon wrapped meatball.

Just get some frozen meatballs, thaw for a couple hours, wrap each with 1/2 slice of thin bacon and secure with a toothpick.   Smoke for 90-ish minutes, then apply a BBQ sauce glaze and put back in the smoker until the sauce sets.   Maybe toss on the grill to crisp the bacon when your guests arrive.

Good stuff, and an easy crowd pleaser.. 

[edit]

What Chris said!

May have to try them out with some ABTs and bag the sausages.

Tenpoint5

The guys will do the ABT's and the Lady's will go for the Moink Balls. Unless you tell them the same thing I told my future BIL. I told him they came from a swamp rat down in LA called a moink rat. They just cut them to keep the population down they dont kill them. A friend had just mailed them up to me. He wouldn't touch em, until we harassed him for a couple of hours about it. I was informed that he would get me back for that one and that it was a good one.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!