4th of July Party Smoke-out

Started by Rckcrwlr, June 08, 2011, 10:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on June 08, 2011, 11:59:33 AM
The guys will do the ABT's and the Lady's will go for the Moink Balls. Unless you tell them the same thing I told my future BIL. I told him they came from a swamp rat down in LA called a moink rat. They just cut them to keep the population down they dont kill them. A friend had just mailed them up to me. He wouldn't touch em, until we harassed him for a couple of hours about it. I was informed that he would get me back for that one and that it was a good one.

I was going to go with another angle...some of the women won't touch them and I know of others, like my SIL can't keep her hands off them...and they don't have bacon on them. 

I have the menu, now need to hook up with my butcher, who will be there, to get me some good meatballs so I don't have to make them...see Ka Huno, I am learning.

squirtthecat

Hot smoked shrimp are good, if you want something else to offer..

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: squirtthecat on June 08, 2011, 12:11:09 PM

Hot smoked shrimp are good, if you want something else to offer..

You had me a Hot...tell me more...

KyNola

Hot smoked shrimp.  Make a simple brine, equal parts of salt and sugar dissolved in water.  Brine needs to be cooled.  Peel the shrimp and into the brine for no more than 30 minutes depending on how salty your brine is.  Then, let the shrimp air dry until "sticky" to the touch.  Melt some butter with a bit of your favorite rub in it and brush on shrimp.  Dust them with a little more rub and into the smoker.

They don't take long at all.  You know they're done when they turn pink/orange.

Alternative to the brine if you have access to liquid crab boil.  Take some cold water and add the liquid crab boil until the water turns a very very very pale yellow.  No salt or sugar.  Shrimp in the brine.  20 minutes is plenty and then follow the rest of the directions as above.

Ka Honu

Geez, we ought to charge for this advice.  Moink Balls, shrimp, and ABTs are all great "show off while the guests are there" ideas.  Be careful with the crab boil; that stuff is hot (but good)!

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: Ka Honu on June 08, 2011, 01:18:09 PM
Geez, we ought to charge for this advice. 

Really????

Moink Balls, shrimp, and ABTs are all great "show off while the guests are there" ideas.  Be careful with the crab boil; that stuff is hot (but good)!

I will make sure that I share them with you guys...

KyNola

Quote from: Rckcrwlr on June 08, 2011, 01:22:38 PM

Really????

Moink Balls, shrimp, and ABTs are all great "show off while the guests are there" ideas.  Be careful with the crab boil; that stuff is hot (but good)!

I will make sure that I share them with you guys...

Pay no attention to our wise old sea turtle, he's a good guy.

Here is a very simple recipe for the brined and hot smoked shrimp for you.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?142-Smoked-Shrimp

pensrock

Mooinks are really good, I like to get some 'hot pepper jelly' let it melt in a sauce pan then use it to glaze the mooinks. Mmmm.

watchdog56

I made these beans with prime rib but I am sure they would be great doing a butt also;
May 8 2010. Made beans along with prime rib. Put in foil pan on rack under prime rib.
6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 squares
1/2 medium onion,diced
1/2 bell pepper,diced
1-55 ounce can of Bush's original Baked beans
1-8 ounce can of pineapple chunks,drained
1 cup brown sugar,packed
1 cup ketchup
1/2 TBsp dry ground mustard

Saute bacon in fry pan until crispy,remove and saute onion,bell pepper until tender. In a large
mixing bowl combine beans,pineapple,brown sugar,ketchup and dry mustard. Stir in bacon pieces and
vegetables. Pour into pan and mix. If it looks dry add more ketchup 1/4 cup at time. PLace in smoker
for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Temp must reach 160 or place in oven and bake for 1 hour. Beans were excellent.

beefmann

pulled pork, ABT's  , moink balls. dips, chips, beer, booze. and cant forget good music

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: KyNola on June 08, 2011, 01:59:51 PM
Pay no attention to our wise old sea turtle, he's a good guy.

Here is a very simple recipe for the brined and hot smoked shrimp for you.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?142-Smoked-Shrimp

I know, all is good. 

Quote from: pensrock on June 08, 2011, 03:04:50 PM
Mooinks are really good, I like to get some 'hot pepper jelly' let it melt in a sauce pan then use it to glaze the mooinks. Mmmm.

That sounds awesome.  I have some Habenaro Jelly...may have to "Light Up"" a couple Mooinks.

Quote from: watchdog56 on June 08, 2011, 03:31:21 PM
I made these beans with prime rib but I am sure they would be great doing a butt also;
May 8 2010. Made beans along with prime rib. Put in foil pan on rack under prime rib.
6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 squares
1/2 medium onion,diced
1/2 bell pepper,diced
1-55 ounce can of Bush's original Baked beans
1-8 ounce can of pineapple chunks,drained
1 cup brown sugar,packed
1 cup ketchup
1/2 TBsp dry ground mustard

Saute bacon in fry pan until crispy,remove and saute onion,bell pepper until tender. In a large
mixing bowl combine beans,pineapple,brown sugar,ketchup and dry mustard. Stir in bacon pieces and
vegetables. Pour into pan and mix. If it looks dry add more ketchup 1/4 cup at time. PLace in smoker
for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Temp must reach 160 or place in oven and bake for 1 hour. Beans were excellent.

That sounds awesome...

Quote from: beefmann on June 08, 2011, 03:31:37 PM
pulled pork, ABT's  , moink balls. dips, chips, beer, booze. and cant forget good music

Add Bongo Ball and CornHole...and there's a party.

NePaSmoKer

Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans)
1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
1 can apple pie filling (chop up the big chunks some)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite)

Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325ยบ for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.

This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to claim it as my own. Smiler This is my standard for baked beans anymore.

*This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.

Rckcrwlr

squirtthecat

Quote from: Rckcrwlr on June 08, 2011, 07:25:26 PM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on June 08, 2011, 07:00:01 PM
Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

That is awesome

Another reason to do some of the pulled pork in advance...   ;)

I've cheated and used apple sauce, but the apple pie filling is the way to go.   Do as she suggests and give it a rough chop or two to break it all down.

Ka Honu

Quote from: Rckcrwlr on June 08, 2011, 01:22:38 PM
Really????

Yes, really.  Lucky for you we accept photos of the cook as currency. Post 'em as you go.