4th of July Party Smoke-out

Started by Rckcrwlr, June 08, 2011, 10:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsquared

I'm doing a 30 lb piece of pork leg this weekend for a staff party on the 29th. Should be about 20 people. I'm lazy though--i'm getting them to g=bring all the side dishes.
T2 

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: tsquared on June 09, 2011, 08:13:40 PM
I'm doing a 30 lb piece of pork leg this weekend for a staff party on the 29th. Should be about 20 people. I'm lazy though--i'm getting them to g=bring all the side dishes.
T2 

Sounds awesome...share some pics...

Rckcrwlr

So here is my planned menu:

ABT's
Moinks
Smoked Shrimps
Smoking 4 butts
Carolina BBQ Sauce
Another Sauce??? (Suggestions)
BBQ Beans
Hot Dogs
Slaw (Creamy and S/S)
Dusted Buns
Red Onion
Jalapenos

Beverage of Choice

Any thoughts or suggestions?   What is a good sauce option?  I will be making my Mustard based Carolina Sauce.  Want another option.

Thanks

Rckcrwlr

OK...change of plans...

My bro is bringing over his Bradley too.

Now I can run two butts in one and a butt with beans in the other.

I have gone boneless butts in the past.  I am thinking of going with bone-in this time around.  Hoping to do about 24-30 lbs.  Adding the beans towards the end...

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Rckcrwlr on June 29, 2011, 01:50:55 PM
OK...change of plans...

My bro is bringing over his Bradley too.

Now I can run two butts in one and a butt with beans in the other.

I have gone boneless butts in the past.  I am thinking of going with bone-in this time around.  Hoping to do about 24-30 lbs.  Adding the beans towards the end...

I prefer bone-in, the marrow from the bone imparts more flavor. Keep in mind that butts with bone are going to take longer to reach the desired temperature than you have experienced with boneless butts.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 30, 2011, 01:36:32 AM
Keep in mind that butts with bone are going to take longer to reach the desired temperature than you have experienced with boneless butts.

Thanks for the heads up...  Any idea on the additional time?  Is it an hour or 4 hours?  My 8 lb boneless take about 18 hours.

Habanero Smoker

It shouldn't be that significant. If you already have ftc time calculated in your smoke/cook that should be more then enough time to cover the difference.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

GusRobin

Quote from: Rckcrwlr on June 28, 2011, 07:40:42 PM
 What is a good sauce option?  I will be making my Mustard based Carolina Sauce.  Want another option.
I have made this sauce that NePas posted. I made it as is for mopping, and added some Meis breading to thicken it and use it as a BBQ sauce.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=22405.msg270909;topicseen#new
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

rdevous

Quote from: Rckcrwlr on June 28, 2011, 07:40:42 PM
So here is my planned menu:

ABT's
Moinks
Smoked Shrimps
Smoking 4 butts
Carolina BBQ Sauce
Another Sauce??? (Suggestions)
BBQ Beans
Hot Dogs
Slaw (Creamy and S/S)
Dusted Buns
Red Onion
Jalapenos

Beverage of Choice  (WHAT??? There something OTHER then beer???)

Now there a party everyone on this forum wishes they will be at!!!  WOW...that a MENU!!!  Just remember...no pictures...party didn't happen!!!   ::) ::) ::)

Remember to NOT serve tea at your Independence Day party in support of our "Indian" brothers at the Boston Tea Party!!!   ;D ;D

Ray

If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 30, 2011, 01:07:17 PM
It shouldn't be that significant. If you already have ftc time calculated in your smoke/cook that should be more then enough time to cover the difference.

Party starts at 4pm.  I was thinking on FTC'ing at 2pm.  Puts me at about 7pm on Saturday as a starting point.  I would rather have it sit in FTC than have a bunch of hungry #$*# staring at me.  

Quote from: GusRobin on June 30, 2011, 01:48:28 PM
I have made this sauce that NePas posted. I made it as is for mopping, and added some Meis breading to thicken it and use it as a BBQ sauce.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=22405.msg270909;topicseen#new

I'll have to check that one out.  I would like to offer three sauces, My Mustard Based Carolina, a vinegar based Carolina and a red sauce.

Quote from: rdevous on June 30, 2011, 01:55:23 PM

Now there a party everyone on this forum wishes they will be at!!!  WOW...that a MENU!!!  Just remember...no pictures...party didn't happen!!!   ::) ::) ::)

Wife just doesn't understand...  LOL

Quote from: rdevous on June 30, 2011, 01:55:23 PM
Remember to NOT serve tea at your Independence Day party in support of our "Indian" brothers at the Boston Tea Party!!!   ;D ;D

Ray

No Tea it is...   ::)

Habanero Smoker

Though it is hard for me to judge what the additional time may be for you. I smoke/cook my butts at 200°F, and take them out at a lower internal temperature then others. I would think 2 -3 additional hours as a cushion should be more than enough.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 01, 2011, 02:15:22 AM
Though it is hard for me to judge what the additional time may be for you. I smoke/cook my butts at 200°F, and take them out at a lower internal temperature then others. I would think 2 -3 additional hours as a cushion should be more than enough.

Thanks man...

I will start the photo story today when I prep the butts...

Rckcrwlr

Starting this Journey to the 4th involves...

Two Butts...

Nah...let's make that four Butts...

I gave them a little trimming...and gathered up the "love" for them

Wrapped them tight in some bags waiting for Tomorrow...

squirtthecat

CT and Butt Rub..    Good stuff..........

Rckcrwlr

Picked up my bro's 4 rack and ready to go.  Tomorrow can't come soon enough.