How much Pork Butt is needed?

Started by zueth, June 13, 2011, 10:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

I dont stick the meat probe in till it starts looking done.  ;D

zueth

Good point, so do you rotate every three while smoking and every six after that?

OU812

Quote from: zueth on June 16, 2011, 11:07:27 AM
Good point, so do you rotate every three while smoking and every six after that?

With a full load I rotate every 4 or 5 hr wile dumping and refilling the water bowl.

zueth

So that response makes me ask another question.

I know that you are suppose to change the water bowl every three hours when smoking, so there is enough water to extinguish pucks.

After smoking and you are just using oven is there any reason to change water in bowl?  if so why?

squirtthecat

It's also catching the grease dripping out of those butts as they cook..   You'll want to keep it full of clean (and hot) water to prevent a grease fire.

Keep an eye on the V tray as well, so it doesn't accidentally get plugged up.

OU812

Quote from: squirtthecat on June 16, 2011, 01:18:15 PM
It's also catching the grease dripping out of those butts as they cook..   You'll want to keep it full of clean (and hot) water to prevent a grease fire.

Keep an eye on the V tray as well, so it doesn't accidentally get plugged up.

What Squirt said.

I keep an putty knife next to the smoker to scrape off the piles of goop that builds up on the V tray along with keeping the whole clean so the grease can drain into the water bowl.

Some times the water pan looks full but its mostly full of grease towards the end of the cook.

zueth

I have noticed the grease build up in the water bowl, so changing the water every 4-6 hours should be sufficient?

OU812

When the butt IT gets around 150 to 160 F is when it really starts to lay down the grease.

For me, I change the water after the smoke (4 hr) then again in about 6 hr (after my nap ;D) then again around the 5 hr mark then when the but is getting closer to the end every 4 hr.

Dont forget to rotate (if you have a full load) wile doing this.

zueth

Thanks for everybody's input, the pulled pork turned out great.

OU812

Quote from: zueth on June 20, 2011, 12:18:09 PM
Thanks for everybody's input, the pulled pork turned out great.

Good to here.