Did a 6.5 lb pork butt today

Started by mnmike, June 20, 2011, 08:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnmike

Did this butt today put mustard and rub and wrapped and put in fridge for 12 hours

Put 5 hours of pecan and apple took me a total of 16.5 hours to hit a I.T of 195

Ready for ftc i let it sit for 3 hours

Here is how it looked after the ftc

I chopped it up alittle more than this and got all the bark good and mixed in and put it a air tight container and put it in the fridge till tomorrow am gonna warm it up in the crockpot and add some apple cider or some chicken broth

wyoduke

1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

Tenpoint5

Looks great. I would suggest using plain apple juice when reheating in the crock-pot.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

beefmann

ghost9mm

Dang !!! you really got some great lookin bark on that butt, it really looks good...well done.
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

mnmike

Thanks this was my best butt i have done yet i thought. Have learned alot reading all the posts on here lots of good helpfull people on this forum

mnmike

Ok was very moist and tasted great but not much for smoke flavor to it. I used 6 pecan and 6 apple i have mesquite wonder if i should have done a of them to get a stronger smoke flavor. I know alot of you guys like hickory wonder if that would have made for a stronger smoke flavor more so than the pecan. What you all think??

ghost9mm

While I am partial to Hickory and Mesquite for a stronger smoke flavor, others here have their own likes and dislikes and thats fine...here is a link that you may find interesting...

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/woods.html#appropriate
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

KyNola

Apple is a pretty mellow smoke.  I am very very partial to hickory on just about everything I smoke.  Hickory would have given you a more pronounced smoke flavor.  As for mes...mes....mesqui....., dang, can't even bring myself to type it. :D  I don't use the M wood as it is simply a flavor I am not a fan of.  Would definitely kick the smoke flavor up though.

mnmike

Yes was way to mello smoke flavor for me will have to try hickory next time. wonder how the jim beam would have tasted on it?

KyNola

Mike,
Have never used the JB pucks so I don't anything about them.  BTW, have you tasted that pork today?  I have found that pork smoked on one day and tightly wrapped and rested in the frig overnight will really improve the smoke flavor.  There is a theory that I think has some merit to it that says after you have dealt with a particular flavor(in this case, smoke)for a number of hours your taste buds will actually "go numb" to that particular flavor for a few hours.

Now, I'm a Kentucky boy where if you ain't using hickory you ain't smoking so take this with a grain of salt.  You're going to like hickory on all things pork.

Hope this helps.  That butt looked awesome.  Great bark.

wyoduke

Quote from: mnmike on June 21, 2011, 12:10:50 PM
Yes was way to mello smoke flavor for me will have to try hickory next time. wonder how the jim beam would have tasted on it?
I use a lot of the JIM BEAM i like the flavor it gives and it is stronger then apple
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

OU812

Quote from: wyoduke on June 21, 2011, 02:55:28 PM
Quote from: mnmike on June 21, 2011, 12:10:50 PM
I use a lot of the JIM BEAM i like the flavor it gives and it is stronger then apple

The Jim Beam pucks are made outta the Oak barrels they age the whiskey in.

I like Oak on beef and Hickory on pork.

Just sayin.

Oh Ya,,, that big ole pile of pork looks gooood.  ;D

SamuelG

I hit everything with Hickory or JB...even fish.  That's just me.

I've used the other woods and are too mellow, I like smoke in my smoked food.

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

mnmike

Thanks for all the input will get some hickory and give that a whirl next time