BEST BEEF BRISKET?

Started by xfg7288, October 16, 2005, 05:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xfg7288

Hi! I just ordered my first bs and i want to make Beef Brisket. I have read a lot of different recipes but i am not sure which one to choose. Some people marinade others just use rub some use both. Somebody please tell me the best recipe![:)]

car54

I am thinking about a brisket also. I have only done one and did not like the results. I went to a good food store today and most their briskets were thin but a few were about double the thickness. What should I be looking for.

Thanks, Brad

Oldman

Well I get a whole brisket. (I aged mine--but it is not necessary.) I don't smoke the flat end. I only smoke the "double" end as it has much more fat. I trim the fat but leave some on the brisket. I take the trimmed fat and place it on the rack above my brisket.

How you season it will be up to you. I just use salt and pepper. I like Oak on beef, but that is not to say that other woods are not good to use.

At the 4 hour mark I remove brisket, fat, change out the water bowl. I then create a boat with foil around my brisket. Add a ounce of apple jucie or so and then tent the boat.  (boat needs to be water tight.) Return to smoker until I get a temp of 185 F. (A 6 to 6 1/2 pound brisket will take me about 12 hours to get to 185F.) The I FTC it using a pre-heated oven at 175F. Once I place the brisket in the oven I turn off the oven. I generally allow the brisket to stay in the oven 2 hours. Of course it is also wrapped in the towel.

Smoke Box temp during the whole period is 205-207 F

I have not done a lot of briskets but the above method has given me a nicely flavored, juicy, easy to slice piece of meat.

Good Luck!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

BigSmoker

Don't know if there is a best way or not but I always do just the flat.  Rub it down with your favorite rub(if the rub has sugar make sure it's turbinado or it might burn) or just salt and pepper.  Put it in the smoker at 207-225f.  Apply hickory, oak, pecan smoke or what ever you like best for 4-6 hrs.  When the internal temp reaches 185°f remove from smoker FTC with a little apple juice for 2-4 hrs.  Slice against the grain and enjoy.  Only bad brisket I ever did was a select cut so always IMO buy choice.  Best choice I have found is the IBP brand.  There has been lots of brisket discussion on the forum for sure.  Read through it and formulate a plan then go for it.  Take some notes so you can remember what you liked best or can do better that kind of stuff.  Happy Smokin'.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.