Next attempt, Fathers Day Butt

Started by alberta pompei, June 09, 2011, 10:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alberta pompei

...Hola dot comrades.

My brother is having a Fathers day BBQ this Sunday, so I am going to smoke up a butt for pulled pork, bake up some buns, and bring it over as a surprise.

The reason I want it to be a surprise is because if it doesn't turn out, I will be the only disapointed fat guy at the party.

This is only a three and a half/four pounder, so I was planning on using the advice that so many of you have offered, and give it about six hours,(11/2 hour per pound) at 225, using apple wood.

For the rub, I used 1/2 cup of brown sugar, two tablespoons of black pepper, 1 tablespoon of paprika, 1 table spoon of salt, 1 tablespoon of crushed chile, and 2 tablespoons of dried mustard. I also inserted six garlic cloves into the butt.

Look at that smile. It is now wrapped in plastic and sitting in the fridge. My evil plan is to throw it in the smoker early Sunday morning. I am hoping that eight hours will be enough for a comfortable margin of error. If it is done early I will FTC it before bringing it over. If it is not done, I will finish it off in the oven.

I appreciate all of the help and advice that you have provided for me already, however, if you see flaws in my plan, or have some hints that will make this a success, please feel free to post.

Thank you in advance.

Barry

Ka Honu

Are you using some kind of netting in the photo?  If so, you shouldn't need it since you're cooking slow and moist enough to prevent drying out and the object is to have smoke on as much surface as possible.

alberta pompei

...Hello Ka.

that is the way that it came from the store. That is a butchers string netting to hold the thing in round as the bone was removed.

Barry

Ka Honu

I'd get rid of it unless someone in your family really loves the taste and texture of smoked string.

alberta pompei

Quote from: Ka Honu on June 10, 2011, 09:51:46 AM
I'd get rid of it unless someone in your family really loves the taste and texture of smoked string.

...good point.

I could use skewers to keep it in round, but if I leave the netting, we can eat and floss at the same time.

Thanks again for the advice.

...Looks like I screwed up.

For some reason I thought that Fathers day was this Sunday. If I toss the butt in now, it might be ready for the hockey game.

Barry

Ka Honu

Quote from: alberta pompei on June 10, 2011, 10:24:47 AMI could use skewers to keep it in round, but if I leave the netting, we can eat and floss at the same time.

No need for "round," but the flossing thing will make your dentist happy (although not as happy as if he/she were invited to have some pulled pork).

Quote from: alberta pompei on June 10, 2011, 10:24:47 AM... it might be ready for the hockey game.

Puckin' A!

alberta pompei

...Four hours of smoke complete.

IT of 160 deg F, two hours till opening face off. With any luck, pulled pork with a side of triple D potato pancakes between the second and third period. With even more luck, I demolish a Boston butt and Vancouver kicks Bostons butt.

Also, I got rid of the net as advised.

Pictures to follow.

Barry

alberta pompei

...out of the smoker.

I should have let it cool a little longer. Rather than it being thin and stringy, it was a little lumpy.

I wanted to try these potato pancakes that I saw on Triple D.

The end result was very yummy.

Thank you all once again for all of your advice.

Barry