Cold *cough* Smoked

Started by Oldman, April 24, 2004, 12:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

It is kind of hard to cold smoke something when it is 85 F in the shade....

Anyway I did these beef and pork. I let them set out for four hours after the smok'in and then bag them up. Now in refrig. Tomarrow I will freeze them and when I want a *smokey* mid-night snak they will be ready for the cook'in!

Three pucks....

Sorry the photos are not focus to well....

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Fuzzybear

I wouldn't "sweat" it Olds - smoked food is smoked food!  Maybe you should start at midnight[?]  That'l be cold smoked!  lol!!

Ok, the juniper berry juice (blue sapphire) is taking it's effect!  later!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Oldman

Well today I cooked that larger pork steak (left-center second rack pictured in BS) and just pan fried it over a little butter in a black iron skillet.

I had to fight the dogs off in order to eat it. It was like going to heaven.

Thank you Mr. Bradley!
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Fuzzybear

The dogs???  I've only seen Skyway...who are the other kids in family?  

I've got two yard birds cooking right now.....a 6 pounder and a 4 pounder (not cannonballs!)

as of this writing, it's 4 hours - 1 is at 153 degrees and the other is at 147 degrees....I figured 5 hours for the two birds...seems to be right on time..I'm using the S & S poultry rub...dinner in one hour!  My Bradley temp has been all over the place - it was 104 in the sun today (right where the Bradley was) so I've been yo-yo-ing the temp gauge for 4 hours now!.....as high as 238 and as low as 191 so that add's to the time also.

Glendora, CA - USA!

Oldman

Wrong question to ask.... Her name is Bonnie. She is alway with Skyway. Never leaves his side unless we are walking. She truely loves Skyway. Never seen any other animal as a-tuned to another as much as she is with him. He moves and she looks. He goes to sleep and she is laying down next to him. Many times when they play she lays down so they are both on the same level. She is a long nose boxer that no body wanted. We got lucky that they didn't!

One of her "funnies" is she is a rock dog. I mean just that. She tries and at time does bring in rocks. She loves playing with rocks. Small rocks...Big rocks. She can pick up a rock as fast as you can. The reason she can pick them up so fast is she as an under-bite It is a hoot to watch her with the rocks until she slips one inside and you don't find it until 3 in the morning~~~! LOL!! She has even got Skyway into rocks. Too funny uh?

Fuzzybear

That is to funny Olds - and cool for Skyway - sometimes our dogs growl and howl at each other but they are companions too - our littlest one (Stella/peanut pie/skipper)(Stella is the real name, the rest are nicknames) was an adoptee and pregnant.  We lost one pup, gave the other to a friend in Washington and she's doing really well up there.  Skipper got her nickname as she burns like a Super Nova and is always getting into trouble - pinched vertabrae in her neck deadened a nerve in her rear leg so she kinda "skips" a bit when she walks.  Two nights ago, she got into it with a possum and now her jaw is sore...sheesh!  I am afraid that Stella will one day just drop over in the middle of a run...(she's got an enlarged heart too) but she just won't quit!  

The birds turned out great, gave one to a neighbor in exchange for lemons and lemon butter...

Later

Glendora, CA - USA!

Oldman

Fuzzybear,
Sounds like we have a lot in common.  Skipper and Stella both sound like a little Skyway--never give up.  LOL!

Maybe you have noticed in the other pictures that Skyway has head lights, and tail lights on his cart. Well about 8 months back or so one night around 11 pm we were walking. One moment his head lights are behind me. The next his tail lights are in front of me. And he is going like a bat with his tail on fire.

As I'm yelling "Skyway" he is just hammering for all he is worth. Up and over this curb he goes. His cart like any cart is bouncing from one side to the other. We were at Cooks Park South St. Pete.

As I running after him I see under this light a big ole possum. It has seen Skyway and it is running for all it can do. Well down the middle of this park there is a line of mangroves. Just as Skyway is bending down to grab this possum (he is still running for all he is worth) the possum turns into the roots of the mangroves. At that point one of the roots caught the inside axle of his left wheel. OUT of his cart he comes flying.

Next he lands directly on top of this possum. If you know anything about possum it is that they have some serious teeth. I was not about to reach down and pull Skyway off of it. So I took my hooked cain and pulled him off. The possum was real proud of that and took off.

What happpened next I do believe will stick in my mind for the rest of my life. Skyway looked up at me and in a voice I have never before or since again heard started to talk to me.  My best translation is: "You dumb Son of a B...I had him and you let him go!~~~~"  The look on his face could only be discribed as utter disbelief.

I knew he could out run me on pavement. But Cooks Park is a back wash area. The ground is soft. I just could not catch him. He was in the softer areas and I was running on the more firm areas. There were areas in the park where you could see his tires had sunk down a good  inch or so the ground was that soft.  What a hoot!

And who needs TV to find a good sitcom?

BTW If Skipper gets to the point where he is having a real problem there are carts make that assist dogs in walking. Skyway's cart with next day air cost me 579.00. It will last him the rest of his life. Of course you have to replace the tires [:D]

Here is where I got Skyway's from: http://www.k9carts.com/
Olds

Fuzzybear

I am seriously LMAO over here Olds!

What's with these dogs that are numb in the hindquarters? Stella's got 3 good legs with pinched nerves and compressed vertabrae/Skyway has only two good legs..  It's like...no big deal, I'ma dog and dogs chase things and dogs bump into things cuz that's what dogs do!  Oh, and by the way, how come your'e not a dog? You lay down with me like a dog... LOL!!!

Stella (Skipper) is indeed a handful but I wouldn't trade her for anything - she's an extremeley loving animal and would throw herself in harms way for me - she is the watchdog of the house.  Cookie (the other Boston Terrier) is the one that would push the key under the door for you to get in!

Glendora, CA - USA!

Oldman

Hey Fuzzybear I editd while you were posting ...see the BTW I added[:D]

And you are correct about the dogs! Talk about training! I took Skyway to school when he was a puppy for 8 weeks. They taught him how to train me~~~!

In the morning when he gets up it is right into the shower we go. Next, as I grab his rear legs to get him out of the shower he takes off like a motorized wheelbarrow.  Right to his day bed. And then looks at me with this....well I ready go get my cookies. If I don't and stop half way he starts talking... now he got Bonnie doing it too!
Olds

Fuzzybear

Thanks for the update - I'll keep the k9cart place in mind - I hope it never gets that bad but it's nice to know of a place to help them out!

Glendora, CA - USA!

ChefJeff

You Guys are the best!Dogs are better than people any day of the year.Keep on smokin and taking care of your family (on 4 legs )[:X][:X][:D][:D][:D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

Fuzzybear

Thanks Chef!

I'll get a couple of pics posted of Cookie and Stella shortly...

Glendora, CA - USA!

edit:
Cookie:  

Stella (aka: Skipper)

Fuzzy and his girls: Cookie on the lap and Skipper on the ground - 8,000 feet elevation - Eastern Sierra mountains on a fishing trip.

Oldman

Glad to see it worked out for ya Fuzzybear.
Olds

Chez Bubba

OK, had to join the puppy post! Mama & I are set to pick up our new drathaar puppy sometime close to Memorial Day. It's a minor miracle because Anne is allergic to just about everything on this planet, but somehow, not this breed.

I had just resigned myself to never having one.[:)][:)][:)]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Fuzzybear

looking forward to the pics!!

Glendora, CA - USA!