Jan's Rub - what type of sugar

Started by calis72, June 11, 2011, 12:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calis72

What type of sugar do I use in the Jan's rub?  White sugar or Brown sugar?

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

calis72

Has anyone tried it with brown?   What I basically do is make about 5x the amount as listed in the recipe and then just keep it in a ziplock for when I need it.   I will use half next week for a catering thing I'm doing where I am making about 32 racks of ribs.

Will the brown sugar keep as well as white sugar or will it solidify or go bad?

hal4uk

Quote from: calis72 on June 12, 2011, 06:58:52 AM
Has anyone tried it with brown?   What I basically do is make about 5x the amount as listed in the recipe and then just keep it in a ziplock for when I need it.   I will use half next week for a catering thing I'm doing where I am making about 32 racks of ribs.

Will the brown sugar keep as well as white sugar or will it solidify or go bad?

I've used white, brown, and turbinado (raw cane) sugar, and I can't honestly tell that much difference.
I think, in most rubs...  Plain old white sugar is as good as any.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Quarlow

I am with Hal on this. Awrighten.  ;D I always wanted to say that.  :D :D :D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

hal4uk

Quote from: Quarlow on June 12, 2011, 08:51:05 AM
I am with Hal on this. Awrighten.  ;D I always wanted to say that.  :D :D :D
Awrighten.  ;D

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

calis72

KyNola

As the co-developer of Jan's Dry Rub(Jan is my wife ;)) I can report to you that plain white sugar is what we use.

EDinNB

After watching the Food Network for 10 yrs, and having a Daughter as a professional chef, here is the difference....

White sugar will add 1 thing and 1 thing only to a recipe, Flavor... Brown sugar and other less refined sugar will impart the individual flavor of any residual ingredients they carry. I usually use dark brown sugar in rubs as it is moister and allows the rub to pack a bit better.

If you like to experiment, find different sugars like Demerara (yes like the rum) and see what works for you. I only use refined white sugar in a recipe that I need the product to remain uncolored, or I don't want to deal with the packing effect of a packed sugar.

Just my 2 cents worth.

EDinNB

KyNola

Quote from: EDinNB on June 16, 2011, 07:58:04 PM
Brown sugar and other less refined sugar will impart the individual flavor of any residual ingredients they carry.

I only use refined white sugar in a recipe that I need the product to remain uncolored, or I don't want to deal with the packing effect of a packed sugar.
Or you don't want the rub to have a molasses flavor in it. ;)

EDinNB

Quote from: KyNola on June 16, 2011, 09:28:52 PM
Brown sugar and other less refined sugar will impart the individual flavor of any residual ingredients they carry.

I only use refined white sugar in a recipe that I need the product to remain uncolored, or I don't want to deal with the packing effect of a packed sugar.

But who would ever object to the wonderful subtle flavor of molasses ona Boston Butt????

EDinNB

Tenpoint5

Quote from: EDinNB on June 16, 2011, 10:16:09 PM
Quote from: KyNola on June 16, 2011, 09:28:52 PM

But who would ever object to the wonderful subtle flavor of molasses ona Boston Butt????

EDinNB

Molasses on a butt in the smoker is great!! However if memory serves me right Jan's Rub was designed and created for CHICKEN!! It was introduced here and the forum members kind of ran with it and it evolved into a PDG all around rub. Hat's off and a BIG ole THANK-You to Miss Jan for exposing us to it!! :-* :-*
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!